Tactics

Started by Darkling, August 18, 2006, 07:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkling

What are the tactics you usually use when fighting mobs vs. players?

On mobs, I usually start with Ambush, Gouge, BS, SS or Kidney shot depending upon how many points i have built up, SS a few times to build points up again, and eviscerate. Sometimes I use CB with the initial strike, other times I wait and use it on eviscerate.

Versus other players, I start with Cheap Shot, a couple of SS, BS, kidney shot, SS even more, gouge, bs, eviscerate. Usually does the trick. I cheat though in duels. I blind the opponent and then bandage myself. run out of combat range and stealth once again.

un4

PvE: Ambush, gouge, BS, GS, KS/Evis.  Rinse and repeat.  On really tough mobs I might open with CS to get the three combo points (Initiative) and the stun, then hit SS, gouge, BS, Evis/KS, GS+ Evasion and SS them to death while dodging. 
If the mob is a runner and I'm in trouble, I'll use evis instead of KS to force them to run, so I can kill them while no longer taking damage.  I always have crippling poison on my MH dagger, so adds arn't a problem.

PvP:
Cloth casters below my level I ambush for the 600-800+ crit and two combo points (Initiative again).  Then I SS and KS them, and BS them to death.  Cloth casters above my level I CS, gouge, BS, and then KS.  I throw in kicks when they try to cast.

Rogues I cheap shot, GS, KS, BS (followed by rupture if I don't have deadly poison), SS, and then Evis for the kill.

Shamans I treat like cloths, but I use GS when they arn't stunned.

Warriors below my level I ambush for the huge initial damage and then stunlock for relatively low DPS but preventing them from attacking me.  If they break the lock I hit GS + Evasion so that only overpower can hit.

Hunters I ambush and run through if they try to turn.  I then BS and gouge, so I have four combo points.  If they have a lot of health left I KS and BS, then GS/SS them down.  If they're at 1/2 or less I'll Evis instead, and then GS/SS them down.  If they're particularly tough or I have the energy, I'll throw in a gouge + BS combo.

The nice thing about being a prep rogue is that I have three vanishes every ten minutes.  Same for sprint and evasion.  With those I can repeat my opening combo or simply get away.
un4

Darkling

As far as poisons go, for pve, i use crip on mh, deadly on oh. when pvp i use crip mh and instant oh. DOT's ruin gouge, hence i don't use deadly poison at all. When I know I'm going against a lock or priest, i'll coat mh with mind numb until it proc's, then switch to crip on mh. seems to work well for me when i remember to do that.

un4

Interesting.  For PvE I use crip on MH and instant on OH.  For PvP I time the DoTs (mentally, don't use a mod) with my gouges.  I almost never use mind-numbing, unless I know I'll be fighting a lot of casters.
un4

Darkling

On game mobs, I find it really nice fighting them as a rogue, because you never really have to change tactics with them. Where as a mage needs to, say, use fire and arcane primarily on water elementals, ice on fire elementals, etc. depending upon the resists the mobs have.

The only thing we have to worry about is the poison resists and immunities of the mobs.

I recommend on bosses to switch up crip poison with instant poison on the MH, and Deadly Poison on the OH. If the boss uses a lot of healing on itself, I recommend Wound Poison for awhile to slow its healing down.

un4

Yup, and if the boss is immune to CS, use garotte instead of ambush for less aggro.  I evasion tanked the SM Library and GY today... the warrior in the Lib wasn't happy with my ambush crits taking all the mobs :P
un4

Vengeance

kinda makes me wonder what all these letters stand for...i dont have a rogue ???

un4

Ok, rogue glossary for the uninitiated:

BS = Backstab
CB =Cold Blood
CS = Cheap Shot
Evis = Eviscerate
GS = Ghostly Strike (now only 40 energy! :D)
KS = Kidney Shot
LP = Lock Picking
PP = Pick Pocket
SS = Sinister Strike

--------
Back to plotting.
Since we can now pick up rogue supplies from PP, I've been using blind a lot more.  Also, I've taken to carrying at least 40 flash powder for my vanishes.  When I'm working on someone who's really tough I'll pop a finisher and then vanish before reopening with a CS or an ambush for the kill.

I'm currently 8/0/26 (eventually going 25/0/26), and I'm loving serrated blades.  I'm doing almost pure damage against casters, so I almost exclusively open with ambush now in order to drop them to ~30% health (assuming the caster is around my level).
un4

Darkling

Funny thing on server restart this morning, all my talent points reset...so I respec'd. I figured what the hell, might as well try something different. it's pretty much the same, I just added 2pts into the one that reduces cooldown of vanish and blind. Can't remember what else I put the others into, but i did keep Imp Sap, CB, and Prep. It's almost time to hit up combat with some assassination and of course, subtlety.

un4

The new subtlety is amazing.  I'm loving my constant 800-1200 crits with ambush, reduced timers, and the new ghostly strike.  I've taken to soloing instances too.  If I need cash and I don't have time to clear the whole thing I'll stealth in, assassinate the bosses, loot, and leave.  With the Nightscape Boots you made me and 5 in Master of Deception, I'm practically undetectable!

Congrats on the free respec.  I'll be begging for those by the time I hit 60 :P
un4

Darkling

So I got rid of CB...I miss it, but I do awesome dps now with my new gear. Switched from dual wielding 2 daggers, to dagger in MH, and sword in OH. My dps is something like 57.2 now. I went Pre-med in sub, 3 in gouge for combat, and some stuff in assassination as far as points go. That serrated blades just kicks way too much ass.

un4

I'll second the serrated blades.
I'm all for swords in OH, but I haven't found one with +agi or DPS that would be worthy to upgrade to from my dreadblade.
un4