Survival spec

Started by Lord Entropy, April 12, 2007, 04:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Entropy

Was wondering if anyone's gone survival in the guild.  I'm considering respeccing from BM, but I don't think I have enough AGI gear to properly support surv at the moment.  Still, the awesome CC survival gives makes it very tempting for instances.

Genoism

survival kinda looks crappy honestly...and Bm seems to put out more dps them MM or survival based on what i've seen with other hunters in my groups

Lord Entropy

The thing about survival is it relies on a lot of agi - for the lightning reflexes bonus, but mainly for crit.  Survival hunters with over 30% crit can get close to 50% crit with buffs and master tactician proccing.  That's a lot of dps.  Unfortunately, almost all the gear out there is AP gear and not AGI gear.  I've seen a few survival hunters on the armory who've used some leather for the AGI and are pushing 33% crit unbuffed.  Survival has the potential to be really good dps along with the amazing CC.  I was just wondering if anyone's played around with it yet.

Tyban

I’m the same way except my gear is almost all agility.  I’ve been Survival since around 40 so most of my experience has been in the Survival Tree.  I just respecced about two weeks ago to 0/21/40 with points into trap mastery and clever traps.  I had totally ignored these two talents before this respec.  I couldn’t get rid of scatter shot, I thought about it for about a week, just couldn’t do it.  I forgot what the final talent in the Survival tree is called but it resets the CD of all hunter talents immediately.  When would I use this talent?  Only thing I could come up with was maybe reset traps and rapid fire.  Not worth it in my opinion. 

The four points into traps has worked out pretty well so far.  It has been working great in TK and SH…traps last longer with way less resistance.   CC is very important in Heroic mode and Kara.  I was one or two shotted in both places when the traps failed.  I am starting to feel the limits of my Field Marshal set in Heroic and Kara. 

I’m starting to look for more armor and stamina instead of just agility.  Saying that and actually doing it is a different matter…the first pcs I get rid of from the Field Marshal set takes away my +20 agility set bonus….agility, agility, agility…I have not been able to do it yet.  My goal now is to get to 10k health unbuffed with more armor and keep my agility around 475 to 500 range with crits around 24% to 25%.  Not sure if this is all possible but I’m going to try.  Not sure if the Beast Lord set is the answer, plus the gold u would have to spend in gems to finish the set might not be worth the trouble, but I don’t want to do the full pvp thing again to upgrade my armor.  I haven’t really looked at the gem available and how this will effect the set but I will be looking for +agility and +crit gems.

But you’re right, Blizz has forced us to move more towards AP rather then agility, so what is the right combination, not sure. 

So does anyone know how much agility is needed now to get 1% crit for Hunters now?

Genoism

i have 20% crit and im BM/MM

the extra agi isn't worth the points anymore imo. The only reason i'd put points into that extra agi now is only to get the talent below it. Survival is now more help-the raid - less dps tree. I feel BM has now become the best form of dps. MM is kinda...well lacking in dps and in utility. There's nothing really in the higher teirs of MM that would make me want to put the points over the other stuff in the lower teirs of survival.

Air

According to wowwiki http://www.wowwiki.com/Agility
Its around 40 agi == 1% crit for a lvl 70 hunter.

Expose weakness looks aweful tempting now though.
"Don't be a Dick." - Wil Wheaton
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." - Will Rogers

Genoism

well i've finally switched back to survival and some mm. Mostly for pvp and quite a bit for raiding. I'm spec'ed big time into traps so cc is going to be a lot easier now.

Lord Entropy

I really want to spec survival, but my agility sucks, and I'm afraid it will hurt my soloing ability compared my current BM build.  The 2.1 patch has some love for survival hunters though, making it more tempting.

Genoism

i've put 0 points into the agility talent and my dps is fine.