Kiting

Started by Zario, September 17, 2006, 12:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zario

First Hunter Post!

For real, any hunters have good tips for kiting high lvls by yourself?  Should it just be a combo of distract, arcane and stings plus a pet on cower or what?  Do you suggest having aspect of the cheetah on?  I'm open to all suggestions you may have, thanks!

Genoism

Well, having kited a lvl 62 elite myself here's some tips you'd prolly find out on your own :p

First off, aspect of the cheetah is a must, assuming this is not in an instance and the mob isn't faster then u with your speed boost you should be able to kite indefinately.

Arcane shot takes too much mana, dont use it.

Serpent sting all the way!

Have a set path your going to take because u dont want to agro other mobs during your kite.

Keep hunters mark on him.

Depending on the speed of the mob your kiting you definately want to not get too far or too close. Some mobs I will turn around and just auto shoot him and keep running like every 5 sec, sometimes every 7-8 sec! Make sure serpent sting is always on him. If you find yourself running low on mana just keep shooting him once and continuing your kite till you have enough for another serpent sting.

A lot of this depends on the amount of hp the mob has as well. If he is an elite with an average amount of hp you might have room for arcane shot but I find its overall damage/mana effeciency terrible, I hardly use it even in bg's. I'd much rather use multi shot over arcane shot.

I rarely use my pet during kites because it might agro, I don't bother having cower on them because its a waste of points on the pet but the few times I've used a pet it was usually unable to keep up if the mob your kiting was too fast. If its slow then wait a bit before you set your pet on the mob and once in a while if you feel your pet might agro just put it on passive for a bit. Worst case senario if your pet agro's just put it on passive and continue kiting until you see it switch its target to you(have the view targets target on in the ui).

Thats about it really. SOMETIMES you'll be able to kite certain mobs into neutral/faction towns and have the guards help you kill them but, i find that it gets messy in terms if finding places to run and if you don't do the majority of the damage you dont get the loot.

oh and its good to have a mana/hp pot on hand just in case. I've only had to use it once just to speed things up but I like to keep em just in case i screw up or something goes awry.

Shadowwolf

Serpent Sting primarily because it insures you will have a higher chance of holding the aggro. Ive found tagging it with that and either an Arcane or regular shot will secure aggro on me nicely to have whatever it is follow me around. Hitting it with something atop Serpent is a must if youre in a group because if someone ist paying attention and hits it, Serpent takes a few seconds before it starts to deal damage, a lot of aggro stealing can happen in those first few seconds.

Most mobs will run back to thier spot of you dont do damage to them in some continious fashion, so for kiting stuff like bosses, keeping a DOT spell, or in this case attack will make sure they stay angry with you so to speak and keep following you, hehe.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Zario

Awesome!  Thanks for the help.  I really enjoy soloing and I want to get better at this.  I'm thinking distract shot would also help regain aggro.

Hinkly

Learn how to Jump Shoot...

commonly refered to as "Jump Shot" this is where you can Jump turn 90-180 degrees shoot and turn back before you hit the ground. it helps you shoot while the mob is getting close to you, i find this helps when you need to apply concusive so that you can get back to your desired distance.

practice on the 60 mob Volchan in BS he is a good practice because you can stay on the road while kiting... away from other mobs,

the best advice i can give is practice practice practice... youll only get better :)

Tyban

Jump shot is something u should learn not just for kiting alone, it's very useful in PVP and BG also. This ability could be the difference when trying to keep ur distance from the target. 

But the most important thing will be how u manage ur mana, especially if ur kiting long distance.
I would use rank one serpent sting to conserve ur mana and keep ur potion cooldown for ur health. 

You can also use ur pet to bandage and recover distance.  Keep ur pet on passive to start and once ur target is too close to shot, put ur pet on aggressive for him to start attacking. FD and ur pet gains aggro, run to max distance serpent sting and auto shot, put pet on passive will start him running back towards u, start process over again.  Ur pet should recover health by himself rather quickly so no need to heal him.  You can do this to bandage when ur health is low also.  Just watch ur pets health as ur bandaging and becareful ur pet doesn't die.     

Genoism

Quote from: Tyban on September 18, 2006, 01:00:22 PM
Jump shot is something u should learn not just for kiting alone, it's very useful in PVP and BG also. This ability could be the difference when trying to keep ur distance from the target. 

But the most important thing will be how u manage ur mana, especially if ur kiting long distance.
I would use rank one serpent sting to conserve ur mana and keep ur potion cooldown for ur health. 

You can also use ur pet to bandage and recover distance.  Keep ur pet on passive to start and once ur target is too close to shot, put ur pet on aggressive for him to start attacking. FD and ur pet gains aggro, run to max distance serpent sting and auto shot, put pet on passive will start him running back towards u, start process over again.  Ur pet should recover health by himself rather quickly so no need to heal him.  You can do this to bandage when ur health is low also.  Just watch ur pets health as ur bandaging and becareful ur pet doesn't die.     

heh good post but your pet wont recover HP while your in combat :D
you were prolly thinkin pvp cuz u drop combat so quicky there lol