Shadow

Started by Nixphire, April 07, 2008, 12:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowwolf

http://www.heavenlysword.com/

And actually, I do dye my hair, sometimes =)

I have a patch of hair in the front for some reason thats blond and the rest of my hair is light brown. Its unique I guess, but I look like a punk chick if I leave it be which doesnt bode well in professional meetings. Sadly, people dont realize its a natural thing, hehe. My cousin has a similar situation, he has a spot on the left side of his head thats white, 30yrs old and hes had this patch of white hair on the side of his head since he was 17.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

fiere redfern

Looks like you're just a wolf IRL, Shadow ;) I love wolf colorations that consist of a uniform color across their entire body, except for a single patch over an eye or over a foot or something.

Shadowwolf

My skunk stripe, lol

Its cool and annoying all at the same time, haha.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Fleecy

Hehe, my sister has a patch right at the front of her hair also, she used to part it so that you couldn't see it, but in the last few years she's been parting it right in the middle of the patch, so that her bangs have the white completely visable.  Mind you her hair is blonde so it's not as much of a noticable thing I guess.

Telfurion

Luise

My youngest son has grey patches in the hair at the back of his head. :)

kajunlady

before i started dyeing my hair all sorts of crazy colors  i use to have light brown hair with naturak highlights

" The Hardest Job is watching day by day your children grow up and wondering if you really did do all you could for them"
unknown

" I did it because I can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said YOU said I couldn't"
UNKNOWN
"The futue is not something we enter,but something we create"
UNKNOWN

vakiller

i heard that happens because of a birth mark where the hair is discolored...could be wrong idk

Nixphire

Quote from: Luise on April 19, 2008, 09:27:27 PM
My youngest son has grey patches at the back of his hair. :)
I do too.
As far as birthmarks go. I don't have any on the back of my head. But mine is just grey, not any other colors.

Arcdelad

usonian has an eye that is half one color and half another...... 0.o

he calls it his "genius eye" lol

hooray for eviolutionary oopsies in an age of evolutionary stagnation

JohnnieRat

It's tough to say that we're evolutionary stagnant. It's not like there was a monkey pregnant out there one day and gave birth to a human. We just can't see every minute change that humans are going through. I'll have you know that see human improvements that make my body somewhat super human. For example, my liver is far stronger than a normal human. What advantage will this give us in the future? Maybe our entire fresh water supply will ferment... and what a glorious day it will be.

Arcdelad

I think we are stagnant from an "evolutionary" standpoint...

Ill clarify first: evolution and natural selection are two different animals. The flow of evolution is: a mutation occurs, like say JR's super liver or shadow's skunk hair. This mutation could be the result of a number of things - your mom cooked too many microwave dinners when you were gestating, a flawed sperm managed to penetrate the egg, or a number of other "fluke" occurances.

Now we have a mutation in the population - lets use JR's liver for the discussion, since it wont be around too much longer. Now that the mutation is in the open, its time for natural selection. Natural selection occurs for various reasons - a mutation makes that thing surive longer and more able to spread its seed OR it becomes more attractive among the species. An example of natural selection is in England during the industrial revolution. One species of moth had both black and white variations (mutations). For a long time the white variation mated and bred at a higher rate becuase their white matched the whtie bark of the trees they resided on a lot of the time, and these moths were food for various types of birds (the black ones were thus easier to see since they contrasted with the white bark). Then England started throwing up smokestacks and churning out black smoke 24-7 - which started to pollute things and get BLACK soot on the trees, which in turn meant the black moths now avoided bird detection better and the white ones were biologically less suited for survival. The black moths became the mating preference and thus thrived.

This is how evolution as a process works: mutation ---> natural selection -----> variation thrives or is rejected.

"Survival of the Fittest", one of the best feral talents in the tree and a theory based on Darwinism, was born from this. A mutation occurs and its deemed by life to either enhance survivability or detract from it. If it detracts from survivability it gets crap-canned as the poor saps cant get a date or spread their progeny.

Now...back to the original argument. Humans are outside this cycle now becuase of our technology. We still have mutations...good ones are like the 1 year old babies with solid muscle or the baseball pitcher with 6 fingers on one hand. Bad ones are sickle cell anemia and mental retardation (which I suffer from).

If we still abided by the laws of survival of the fittest, we would reject people with sickle cell anemia as unfit to live, and that mutation would die out of the population. Instead we treat this defect with our best medicine, which in turn lets this person have kids, live a lot longer, and reject a natural notion that they are not as "fit" to live as a person who's red bledcells are nice and oval shaped.

In terms of natural selection, that ain't happening either. ANYONE can have a kid, in fact it seems that those less fit to strengthen the species have more kids than those who could potentially strengthen the species.

If your super liver or uso's eye all of the sudden helped the speciies better perform AND was sought out by women, then wed be talking evolution. If i was born with a schlong growing out of my forehead and women found that attractive, wed be talking evolution at play.

Humans though, for better or for worse, are compassionate intelligent beings that IMO have queitly removed themselves from the old evolutionary process.

Nixphire

There is a LOT of variation in the humans. Just look at people without appendixes, without tonsils, the shrinking ear, if you want to bring up drinking, you have light weights and people that can drink a fifth of whisky and be fine the next day, and many many more that go beyond the scope and array of my knowledge. Like Arc was saying, the key factor with his example (which I remember hearing about in dang AP Bio back in High School) is something to change. So who wants to take dibs on the next change? I say Peak Oil!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_oil

LastDyingBreath

not available for pc?  boo. 

JohnnieRat

Arc, the evolutionary inferior is only attempting to stifle my future world dominance! Don't listen to his propaganda. I am the future!