Question for all you compu-savy folks

Started by Drygioni, September 01, 2008, 05:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drygioni

There are a few sites that do not allow me to view content because I live in Canada.

For example the BBC does not allow viewing of its video content.  Showtime in the USA also doesnt allow non US residents to view their content.

Is there a specific software, way, or trick to mask my location? I've read about proxy servers but does that allow me to pick say a UK or US IP?

any recommendations?

grunkatze

i don't know what kind of internet you are using, im in canada also and dont have any problem with that.  I use firefox on my mac, i swear i never got that happened..

Drygioni

Firefox. Mac and PC

try this link then. see if you can watch it.

http://www.itv-f1.com/VideoExclusives.aspx

I get this:(pic below)

grunkatze

hummmm i get the same thing = / then i don't know what to tell you, sorry !

Arcdelad

best thing to do is to try and not let your head flop around TOO much...I would also recommend NOT saying "about" like "aboot" or "aboat"...

Deceiving Americans into thinking you are one of them will get you far on this North American continent

Drygioni

I'm on tour with a bunch of southern Yanks. Any time I say OUT or ABOUT I hear it.

Listen, I just wanna watch the Formula One races while out on the road. Is that so bad? None of these freakin hotels have Speed Channel. Must I be doomed to watch NASCAR for the rest of the season? I can only take so many left turns already! If I miss Spa this weekend I'm gonna cry.

Tyban, back me up on this please.

Tyban

Dry is right…NASCAR does a great job to market their product but I can’t watch the whole race. 

This is a racing series that penalizes success.  Your manufacturer or team does a better job and makes your car go faster within the rules set by NASCAR…they will look to level the playing field.   

But Formula One has its own problems…new point system rewards consistency rather then winning kind of similar to NASCAR because of one team and one driver. 

Back to Spa…there is nothing like Spa anywhere else in the world.  Its just a classic course rich in history and layout.  What other race track has a Bus Stop as part of the course?

I'll probably have to record it since the race starts at 5am my time...I will be farming Primal Air until about 3am Sunday morning.

Gutboy

"Impossible odds, mentally unbalanced foes, cramped quarters for a good punch-up... and people say Iest has no night life."
-- Cerebus

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but by God, they frighten me."
-- The Duke of Wellington

Shadowwolf

Theres many ways they can be determining your location, my guess would be that they are doing a reverse lookup on your IP address you connect from which is a dead giveaway to where you reside. Unfortunately, the only way to "spoof" that would involve a HUGE amount of effort to essentially hop through other machines set as relays or zombies. Its not something thats easily doable nor can be explained away for anyone to just do it as it involves a good knowledge of networks.

You could try finding some anonymizer websites that hide your identity. Most these days cost a bit of money to use as the free ones pretty much suck.

Can try to find one to suit your needs via google as a suggestion

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=anonymizer
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Drygioni

Shadow: Thanks, I'll try that. I have no problem buying something if it will work. i tried TOR to no avail.

TY: Yes thats a rough one living on the west coast for those European races. I complain about getting up at 8 for the races on Sunday! lol I can't wait for the night race in Singapore!