External Hard Drive...

Started by un4, January 05, 2009, 11:59:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

un4

...failure.

I got a 500 GB external hard drive to supplement the 40 GB of space my computer had once upon a time.  Today, I fire everything up and dust off the computer in order to start the file transfers that will hopefully make my life easier.  I plug in the hard drive, snake the USB cable to my computer, and power it up... sweet.  Install the drivers?  OK!

This is where the failure begins.

My laptop's hard drive does not have enough free space to install the drivers for the external one.  I had to delete about a gig of stuff to make room for WotLK, and that left me with.... 4 MB of memory.  Failure #1.  I clear out some old screenshots, delete old programs, uninstall my Java package and compiler then install the drivers for the hard drive.  Smooth like butter... sweet.

Now it's time to get that massive 15 GB WoW folder out of my laptop and store it away on the external drive.  I start up the process, fix myself a drink, and come back.

Failure #2:
"Estimated time remaining: 232 minutes."

What?!

So here I am, four minutes in and 228 to go...
un4

un4

Or it could take 18 minutes.  Go figure.
un4

fiere redfern

Doncha just love those Microsoft countdowns? ;) Glad to see you're back up and running!

Shadowwolf

The Vista file copy system is god awful. XP had a good one, and it was better than 2000's, which was better than 98's, etc, then somewhere with Vista they went backwards and made it worse.

Sadly I boot up my SuSE through VMWare and copy large volumes of files that way, lol. I really hate Vista, if WoW ran on Linux easily and stable Id bail on windows entirely.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

un4

un4

Nixphire

Quote from: Shadowwolf on January 06, 2009, 06:41:15 AM
if WoW ran on Linux easily and stable Id bail on windows entirely.

I don't use it, but have you seen this?