Virus Scan

Started by TheGeneral451, November 24, 2009, 04:38:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGeneral451

My PC is still messed up, there is def a virus on here but my norton's is outdated and can't find anything.  What are some free virus scans and removal programs that are worth their weight?  Please help me!

--Zy
:pumpk_pie:

Grendeel

This is what  "geeks to go" website recommended for me

Spywareblaster  which immunizes a computer from bad active X controls

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html

and  SpywareGuard which offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.  They say u should only be running one antispyware software because it causes conflicts if you use more than one.

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sgdownload.html

Works for me so far, though i have other safeguards in place.

Tony

There is also AVG Free

and I would highly recommend MBAM

Honestly, there is no real way of getting completely rid of a virus. What we do at work here is just reformat the computer and reinstall the OS. It's the only way to be sure.

Grendeel

I didnt realize you had a virus.  Many now days have a built in tool that prevents spyware from catching them.   The last one i had, several of the antispyware softwares i tried didnt detect it.

Ive mentioned this before, if you want to get that virus out, go to "geeks are us" and they will provide you with all the simple instructions on how to do it.

This thread is the step by step process they had me do to remove a virus that about 6 antispyware programs and norton couldnt even detect or prevent.

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Avg-updates-wont-happen-all-other-anti-virsus-software-wont-instal-t245075.html

Post your issue there and they will walk you through removing it and then provide you with rock solid ways to immunize your computer after its all over.

Oilslick

Quote from: Tony on November 24, 2009, 05:55:59 AM
There is also AVG Free

and I would highly recommend MBAM

Honestly, there is no real way of getting completely rid of a virus. What we do at work here is just reformat the computer and reinstall the OS. It's the only way to be sure.

/agree

A couple other things to try if you feel up to it that can add to your chances of success.
1) boot into safemode without networking enabled
2) disable any software that locks you out of your hosts file
3) delete the hosts file
4) run all your scans
5) reboot, into safe mode without networking
6) run them all again
7) re-enable any software that utilizes your hosts file to automatically misdirect known malicious domain names
8) reboot into normal mode
9) pray

Tony's absolutely right...even if everything acts normal and looks completely cleared, it probably isn't.  If your scans confirm your suspicions of a virus, it's time to back up the essentials and start from the ground up in my opinion.  Shoot, most of the time it's a lot quicker than trying to clean things anyway.