What is the point of...

Started by Arcdelad, March 30, 2007, 08:17:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcdelad

...the dagger skill add?

[wowitem]Shapeshifter's Signet[/wowitem]

I understand the add to feral combat skill...that is good, but why the dagger skill add? our attack speed is reduced to 1.00 regarldess of how quick or slow our base weapon speed is, so why would you even think of using a dagger in the first place for cat form when you can get much bigger damage output from a mace or a staff with +423 attack power...in bear form you ideally want a weapon with armor on it like [wowitem]Earthwarden[/wowitem], so again that doesnt make sense...

did they put the +dagger on their so rogues could use it? other than that everything else points to it being a feral druid specific item (even the name)...

Lynette

I believe this is targetted for rogues or feral druids in cat form, even with the name of the item.  Feral druids when tanking might find better elsewhere.

voctovian

Yeah, [wowitem]Ring of Unyielding Force[/wowitem] is an amazing druid tanking ring :)  But the item is as good for a catform druid as dagger rogue, easier than two different items

Voc

Arcdelad

yeah...that kind of dawned on me after a bit...I think i need to sleep more.....lol

Vengeance

Why would a feral druid use a dagger in the first place?  :o

Shadowwolf

The higher your skill, the higher your crit% and chance to hit% goes up. So if you increase your skill past your max with items, it helps your chance to hit mobs your level and above.

Lots of people dont realize that and they pass up +skill weapons / armor and they are actually slightly better than chance to hit alone because it helps crit too.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Formulas:Weapon_Skill

For each point that your weapon skill exceeds your opponent's defense, you gain the following:

* Your chance to miss decreases by 0.04%.
    * Your chance to score a critical hit increases by 0.04%.
    * Your opponent's chance to block your attack decreases by 0.04%.
    * Your opponent's chance to parry your attack decreases by 0.04%.
    * Your opponent's chance to dodge your attack decreases by 0.04%.

Effectively, you can consider weapon skill to be the inverse of the defense skill.

Additionally the 2.0.1 patch notes say

* The player will gain 0.1% to their critical strike rating per weapon skill against monsters above their level.

Presumably this is only for Weapon Skill over your level's natural cap (Level * 5). It is not known if you also get the additional 0.04% crit chance per additional +skill.

Also, l I touched on Feral Skill a bit of a ways back since there was questions about the worthwhile of leveling weapon skill on druids and what the +Feral Skill actually meant. Hope that clears it up for everyone =)

http://forum.twilightonalex.com/index.php?topic=1753.0
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Arcdelad

no...I understand all that shadow...but if you assume this is a feral druid only item, then the dagger thing makes no sense becasue a feral druid would never use a dagger...

BUT...given that the ring is also meant to be for rogues, who wouldnt use the +20 to feral, but would love the +20 to daggers, it makes perfect sense...and the +AGI and +STA fit well for both classes...

Vengeance

I take my time with [wowitem]Staff of Beasts[/wowitem] at the Stocks-weapon-skill-delight-cafe to level up, and  noticed the masive increase in crit chance after leveling 40-50points  :P

Shadowwolf

Ah, I misunderstood the question then. I thought you were asking about the benefit to +weapon skill.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess