Gun sound modifier?

Started by elsabet, November 20, 2008, 12:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elsabet

Heya Twilight,

Just let me say.... I love our hunters!  But the gun noise in instances are very distracting for me.  I find myself running away from the noise, almost like I got feared.  lol

I've tried to find a sound modifier on curse.com, but they are all pre-expansion and I can't figure out how to install them in WotLK (can't find the .wav files) or even if they will work if I could figure it out!  Anyone know of an addon that works with the expansion, or at least how to use the old ones?

Much appreciated!

Elsadroooooooood

Kothnok

Modifying any of the files given to you by Blizz is against the ToS, please do not modify their sound files.

Having said that, there is a way to use your own sound file (which, after much reading, I do not believe goes against their ToS) in much the same way I outlined how to use your own cursor.  Can you give a link to whatever addon claimed to change the gun sound to something you can tolerate, Elsa?  I have a feeling you may have put the addon into the Interface/Addon folder, but I believe you need to just place it into the Interface folder.  Subtle difference, I know, but an important one.
No matter how often you refill the gene pool, there's always a shallow end.

Kothnok

Both of those I have confirmed work with WotLK.  If you download one of those, unzip it into your <WoWfolder>\Data\ subfolder.   You don't even have to restart WoW for this to take effect (it will do so immediately the next time a gun fires).

Kothnok

By the way, I've found a post that clearly sums up why I believe using these mods is ok.

Quote from: UI & MACROS FORUM thread.
Blizzard programmed the option for file substitution (creating your folders with replacement sounds and textures) into the game deliberately. When it got abused, they then specifically revoked the ability to substitute certain files (like models and model textures) and started enforcing verification of the files through a program called Warden. However, they explicitly LEFT in the search for replacement files of other types, such as sounds.

You are not modifying the original .mpq data files, merely supplying your own file which WoW will use instead. Warden does NOT checksum sound files or texture files used by the interface (although I believe it DOES verify textures used on models).

Substitute sound files are specifically loaded by Blizzard's WoW client. If Blizzard decides they have a problem with it, they will disable the alternate load path.

and if you want the technical explanation for how this mod works:
It turns out to be really easy to replace the gun sounds.

All you have to do is put wav files at the right place in your filesystem...

(wowfolder)\Data\Sounds\Item\Weapons\Gun\GunFire01.wav
(wowfolder)\Data\Sounds\Item\Weapons\Gun\GunFire02.wav
(wowfolder)\Data\Sounds\Item\Weapons\Gun\GunFire03.wav
(wowfolder)\Data\Sounds\Item\Weapons\Gun\GunLoad01.wav
(wowfolder)\Data\Sounds\Item\Weapons\Gun\GunLoad02.wav
(wowfolder)\Data\Sounds\Item\Weapons\Gun\GunLoad03.wav

I used an MPQ extractor to pull the Bow sounds out of common.mpq, and then just renamed them and put them there, and now my guns sound like bows...
*chuckle* now I should make a new wand sound of me going "pew pew pew".

elsabet

Thanks so much Koth, I'll do this right away.  Like the pew pew wand idea ;)

Elsa