Possible issue with pets bugging Malygos

Started by Lynette, February 17, 2009, 09:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynette

I know we've been victims of some unusual wipes during Phase 1, don't know if pets are the problem.  Perhaps some of our hunters can research the following link and determine if pets should be dismissed...

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html;jsessionid=BFF7C6454C907D2AE7C0EC11E3B5670A.app06_04?topicId=7701103671&sid=1

Jarekai

At work but will check into this when I get home.

Worst case scenario is we simply dismiss them altogether. Their only contribution to DPS occurs in P1 anyway and while every little bit helps, I can't think it would be THAT much of a loss, even less so if there is even a small chance of them bugging the encounter.

Tony

Where it has happen to us a few times, I think that we should at least consider trying it without pets. The first time we tried, I think we only had one hunter with us, but there were 4 Death Knights, 2 blood and 2 unholy. I believe that the unholy Death Knight pet has much more health than the blood summoned one so it is possible that an unholy pet could get hit and not die from the initial damage.

Army of the dead on the other had could be the cause.

QuoteSummons an entire legion of Ghouls to fight for the Death Knight.  The Ghouls will swarm the area, taunting and fighting anything they can.

Since they are taunting, they will be targeted by Malygos and possibly hit with Arcane Breath. I used the spell myself once, and it just so happened to be the same time that someone else did. So, 20 ghouls taunting they are bound to be hit by it and spread it to other players or when they explode, wiping the raid.

Since the fights started running together after a while last night, I cannot confirm that the one time this happened to us was the time I used my Ghouls. Either way, logically it seems that this could be the reason so I will not be using it or my pet during the next encounter. I would implore our other Death Knights to do the same.

Lynette

Other reported bugs can be found in these threads ...

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=7700832984&sid=1

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=15207811174&sid=1

Might explain why scions are 2-shotting folks inside the bubbles.

Tony

Found something interesting here

QuoteWe've gone from 1shotting this boss each week to a complete wipefest since the patch, most notable reasons are:

- Random breath on the raid, right after the vortex. This affected people who did everything they were supposed to (run out from the middle in the correct direction etc). Also, those deaths were not caused by pet bugs, since it affected people nowhere near pets, in the middle of the raid, with people right next to them not getting hit. BUG.

- Random deaths from DK/hunter pets blowing up the raid right after Vortex. Unrelated to the previous point, but just as deadly.

- Priests and druids not being able to heal during Vortex with WG/CoH. Not the biggeste issue, but it did make for a very vulnerable raid in terms of HP right after the vortex.

- Anti-magic zones not doing what they were supposed to in p2, people getting unmitigated scion blasts while clearly under the bubble.

Particularly the part where everyone runs in a direction after the vortex. If I am not mistaken that is not something we are doing. Perhaps we should add that into our strategy. After the vortex everyone heads south, tank goes north. You can position your camera to point south while in the vortex and as soon as you drop, press both mouse buttons and your off to the right place. If it is indeed Malys breath hurting us after the vortex, this might help us a bit.

Grendeel

The pet bar "bug" issue has been around since bc.  Blizzard either cant or wont fix the issue.  As a warlock i have found numerous encounters in this game where it adversely affects playing.   Everything i have read where someone says this will "fix" the problem,  there is a counter post stating "it didnt work for me".   Blizs'  only response is to delete mods and remove the wtf folder.

As an example of what im talking about;   In witnergrasp i man a turret.   It works fine.  I jump out to kill a hordie who is under the turret and untargetable.  I kill him and jump back in the turret...only to find it doesnt function anymore.  I leave and go play in other parts of the battle.   Later i take another turret to use and its fine.  

With that said,  i believe there might be a work around (something that is beyond my ability).  During the gorefiend? fight in bc, the bug showed up for serveral people where people couldnt use the pet bar to kill the constructs after they died.  Shadow made some macros up so that the pet bar wasnt needed  and these macros were used instead of the pet bar, to perform the pet bar functions.  Im guessing this is possible on the Maly fight as well, though im not experienced enough to know if its doable or not.

Lynette

Quote from: Grendeel on February 17, 2009, 10:57:17 AM
The pet bar "bug" issue has been around since bc.  Blizzard either cant or wont fix the issue.  As a warlock i have found numerous encounters in this game where it adversely affects playing.   Everything i have read where someone says this will "fix" the problem,  there is a counter post stating "it didnt work for me".   Blizs'  only response is to delete mods and remove the wtf folder.

As an example of what im talking about;   In witnergrasp i man a turret.   It works fine.  I jump out to kill a hordie who is under the turret and untargetable.  I kill him and jump back in the turret...only to find it doesnt function anymore.  I leave and go play in other parts of the battle.   Later i take another turret to use and its fine.  

With that said,  i believe there might be a work around (something that is beyond my ability).  During the gorefiend? fight in bc, the bug showed up for serveral people where people couldnt use the pet bar to kill the constructs after they died.  Shadow made some macros up so that the pet bar wasnt needed  and these macros were used instead of the pet bar, to perform the pet bar functions.  Im guessing this is possible on the Maly fight as well, though im not experienced enough to know if its doable or not.

I know Lyte is having similar issues with the pet bar for Maly on Phase 3. 

Although Gorefiend didn't use the new vehicle method that is so prevolent in WotLK, maybe you are onto something Gren.  Next time we hit Maly, someone should try some macros and report back to the raid:

Macro to simulate "1":
/target Malygos
/cast Flame Spike

Macro to simulate "2":
/target Malygos
/cast Engulf in Flames

Jarekai

I didn't know you could create/use macros while on a vehicle.

capnpop

Quote from: Diseous on February 17, 2009, 10:32:09 AM

Since they are taunting, they will be targeted by Malygos and possibly hit with Arcane Breath. I used the spell myself once, and it just so happened to be the same time that someone else did. So, 20 ghouls taunting they are bound to be hit by it and spread it to other players or when they explode, wiping the raid.

They don't taunt raid bosses.

Tony

Quote from: capnpop on February 18, 2009, 10:11:11 AM
Quote from: Diseous on February 17, 2009, 10:32:09 AM

They don't taunt raid bosses.

Thanks for pointing that out to me. I will be less hesitant in the future to use it against raid bosses.
Do you think it is still possible for them or other pets to get the arcane debuff and then explode? I think we should at least try it without pets tonight and see if it helps or hinders. 

capnpop

The biggest problem is a pathing one.  The ridge on the edge of the inner circle area can make Maly go nuts as he tries to path to the tank if the tank moves over the ridge. If timing goes bad it can result in a raid arcane breath. 

Also, I think if he does the arcane torrent deal when he's about to breathe he can also kill everyone because he actually targets people with the torrent (i think) and would then do the breath on his current target rather than switching back to the tank for it.