ice

Started by Icemunch, May 24, 2012, 07:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icemunch

I give ... I'm sry

Kothnok

Call Comcast and yell at them.  Take care tho.
No matter how often you refill the gene pool, there's always a shallow end.

Shadowwolf

Try this: http://www.dslreports.com/linequality

It wont fix the issue but it might give you a better idea of the problem. Kinda have some ammo to throw at the Comcast rep when you call. If you sound like you know what youre talking about they usually forward you along to a more competent person a lot quicker cause you confuse the low end tech rep.

Also, if you go here http://192.168.100.1/, itll take you directly to your cable modem. Most of them have logs, so you can see if anything critical is happening that might be causing the problem.

Under signal, look at Downstream Power. Most modems are rated from -15dB to +15dB, however best is usually between +8dB and -8dB. Anything less or more than that may be causing the issue. If you have any cable splitters on the line between the wall and the modem you might want to remove them because those tend to play hell on signal.

For Upstream Power, the lower this number is, the better. Above 55dB will most probably cause problems, over 57dB and you probably won't be able to connect.

For Signal/Noise Ratio its best over 30, (the higher the better, might work well with as low as 25 at times). Anything less than 25 will cause dropped connections, packet loss, slow transfers, etc.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Icemunch

thx shadow .. still having the issues this morning ... going to try your suggestions .. grrrr called comcast and they say they havent had enough complaints in our neighborhood .. wtf does that mean ??? i live in a neighborhood full of old ppl ..im sure they arent surfing the net and playing games ... sigh

Kothnok

> they say they havent had enough complaints in our neighborhood
Call and complain everyday, because that's BS.  That, and each call should add to that number they need.  ]:D
No matter how often you refill the gene pool, there's always a shallow end.

Shadowwolf

I've never heard them say that, wtf is that. I would call again and tell them they need to send a tech out because you aren't getting to use the service you pay for and tell them if they don't you'll call the better business bureau and anyone else to file a complaint fortaking your money and not providing proper service.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Icemunch

we have called them 5 times in the last two days .. we are still having issues .. our cable started acting up last night .. they are supposed to send a tech on tuesday but have us escalated and will get a tech here sooner if they can ... ugh

Shadowwolf

Dont let that jackass leave till its fixed. They like to duck out quick even if they dont fix it. Sadly techs for Cable and Phone co's get paid based on how many calls they respond to in a day, not so much hourly, so its all about quick turnaround.