Graphics are "stuttering" in game since 5.2

Started by jalenos, March 11, 2013, 07:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jalenos

My graphics are now stuttering in game, it slows down and sometimes freezes for 2-6 seconds.  Out in the boonies, in a city or in a pet battle, it doesn't seem to matter.
I downloaded the latest drivers for my card, disabled my addons and lowered my fps to 30 max, but it's still doing it.
There is a thread on the forums, six pages now with no blue response as of yet.  Thought I'd ask the guild to see if anyone has this issue, and found a workaround or resolution.

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut

Kothnok

No matter how often you refill the gene pool, there's always a shallow end.

Shadowwolf

I have the same issue as do a lot of other folks Ive seen in various places around the net. I think it might be an addon or addons, but im not 100% sure. Some nights its fine, others its horrible and happens a lot so its inconsistent.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Kothnok

I got an idea you could try...

Set all your graphics settings in game to low and/or read through each option and set everything to maximize speed instead of prettiness (like turning Shadows off).  If that fixes your problem, then start playing with various combinations to see how high you can put them before they start affecting your frame rate horribly.  I used to have to do that with my older laptop.
No matter how often you refill the gene pool, there's always a shallow end.

Fila

I was experiencing this during Elegon battle last week.  My FPS was going anywhere from 2 to 45, made for a very laggy fight.  I had never had a problem with the graphics on Elegon previously.  Plus I always have all my graphics settings set to the lowest, so I think something in 5.2 screwed it up!  Who knows!  Maybe it's just related to higher server traffic (i.e. bunch of people coming back to the game as of patch drop) and will work itself out after 5.2's been out for a month or so.

Lord Entropy

I've had the same problem as Fila - my FPS dropping to single digits, even with all the graphics options turned to low.  Fortunately it usually only lasts a few seconds.

Shadowwolf

I would strongly suggest all addons get updated too and try disabling anything that hasnt been updated for 5.2.

My guess is Blizz changed something with the graphics engine again and some addons that make calls to graphic related things havent been updated to accommodate. Dep said he was having hellish FPS drops in the Cata raids we did a few days ago too.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess