Main Site Design is changing....

Started by Shadowwolf, November 15, 2006, 07:07:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowwolf

Ive been trying to expand upon the main site a bit more and make it a little more compatible with layout changes, etc and its being problematic as it sits now. I decided to give it a slight facelift and change things around a little to make it easier for adjustments, customizations (like I do for holiday stuff) and so forth. The general color scheme I think will remain the same and the forum wont be changing at all, going to try and mesh the two a little better though and maybe make it so the latest posts are displayed on the main page, have a login box there, a place for the shoutbox perhaps, etc. All things ive wanted to do but have run into snags on due to the design limitation I didnt foresee when I first set the site up. The way it looks now was kind of a quick and dirty design to have it up, running, and professional.

Dont anyone freak out now, the site will still look nice and ill probably post a sneak peek before I make it a live change so if theres any huge complaints or eye sores you can call me on them.

When this will happen I cant say for sure. I want to try and get it done before the new year, but with schedules and holidays, I cant be sure ill have the time.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Arcdelad

thank you for taking the time to do all this shadow...as always we appreciate it, you  :acorn:

any word on the blogs? i think koth somehow managed to post up two things, but i havent been able to as of yet....

Kaidelina

This site is great, and i'm sure the redesign will be even better.  :)

Thank-you Shadow, and everyone who helps to maintain this website, for all the time and work that you guys put in here.

:indian_corn: :indian_corn: :indian_corn: :indian_corn:

definately not corny  ;)

Jandris

I am always amazed at the quality of this web site. I don't know how you do it or even find the time to do it. I know it is very labor intensive and I appreciate all that you & Kothnok do. Esp the holiday icons  :D  :apple_bushel:

Shadowwolf

I skipped out on the regular things I had to do today and started working on the new layout. Aside from some graphics, colors and a few other minor tweaks, I should have something in a few days and I do believe you will all probably like it better then what we have now =)
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

un4

Heh... all I do is check the forums :P

Gotta spam somewhere!  :turkey:
un4

Shadowwolf

...i hope...

Im tweaking and toying with some changes, the top graphic is one of those things, also probably going to shorten the announcement articles to the last 3 and links below it for older.

Some new things you might notice:

Loot History - yes, this does mouseover like the forum and the RPS list =)

Recent Forum Discussions - Shows the last 5 recently discussed topics on the forum. If you are logged in a little "new" icon appears next to ones you havent yet read (this part is still buggy but I should have it ironed out soon)

Login Form - Allows you to login to the forum right from the main page. Shows you a brief total of the same stats you see on the upper left of the forum now plus your total unread messages both topics and PMs.

Some Content - this is going to be something, dont know what yet. Was hoping for the last 3 image gallery uploads but its being uncooperative with me right now so I might change it to something else for the time being to give me more time to work out the bugs there.

What you dont see - the big red "apply" button, which will be altered a bit but still noticeable and probably shoehorned above where the "Latest Downloads" or "Vote Box" is listed.

Please comment away on this. Im wanting to keep the layout like this as it will allow for more flexibility on stuff for content, as far as color schemes, etc etc please let me know. Also the Coffee image in dead center wont be a production thing necessarily. That image will be changeable for me to create new ones with themes or messages, etc. Im also debating having a flash type one like the main WoW site has with news-like images.

Caedryne

Shadowwolf

I altered the top image to better fit the background, the original background was that dark purple but it didnt match the current colors and when I mixed it into the rest of the site it looked too feminine. That blueish purple we have now is more neutral.

Also attached a cap of the loot list =)

Kothnok

Looking good =)

Integrating the forum login on the main page will allow other kinds of useful links / possibilities tied to the login. I look forward to when this goes live. :)  *gets mind working on the possiblities*
No matter how often you refill the gene pool, there's always a shallow end.

dharq

This really looks great Shadow.   :)

un4

un4

Shadowwolf

Recent topics area is done, this is what it looks like logged in.

Arcdelad

looks GREAT so far shadow...its going to be very slick when its all said and done I think..

...although, I am a bit concerned that you are ditching work to do all this...i mean...what kind of horrible employee would waste valuable production time on this type of website?!?!?!?!imagine, say, logging into this site all day long....horrrible!!!

i have sent an email to your boss notifying her of the situation :P

Shadowwolf

Thank you for this information, I will speak to this employee immidiately about squandering company resources ]:D