Netherspite

Started by Arcdelad, October 11, 2007, 06:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcdelad

Hey guys...after we down the prince tonight, we are going to attempt Netherspite (not the undead dragon, the other one).

This is a "pay attention", controlled fight which is similar to the Shade of Aran, ie you need to be able to adapt to his changing attacks (easily avoidable) and know what the beams are all about. If we all pay attention and know what to do, this fight is cake I hear (from Archist @ Destromath)

Please review the wowwiki writeup on this prior to tonight's raid...obviously nothing replaces real experience, but this will be a big help in us trying to down him tonight.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Netherspite

Nixphire

For some reason reading this boss fight makes me want to dance!

Buzan

I wish you guys the best of luck, this is a challenging fight :).

Lynette

Wow - lots going on there.  I'll bring Shadow Resist pots just in case we need em.

Shadowwolf

Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Nasanna

great posts.. after reading the fight on wowhead, i understood everything but it sounded really confusing. After watching the videos, it made a lot more sense. I hope group B can give him a shot this weekend!

Arcdelad

we made some great attempts on him last night....this is a challenging fight to learn as it takes a lot of coordination....it really isnt a physically or gearwise hard fight - it is just very very technically orientated and involves pinpoint placement of your charachter and timing.

I can only really relate to my tanking experience last night, but here are my observations:

Anyone standing in the red beam gets buffed up to 40k health (it then slowly reduces as you get more debuff tics)...kay and i at first were having a hard time switching off...the beam kind of "follows" you as you move, so the second tank needs to get behind the first one to steal the beam...

we also had a hard time managnig the tic counts...we heard that you wait 6-7 debuff tics then switch, but we found that when we both came out of banish phase for the second portal phase we both had the two minute debuff which prevents us from absorbing the beam, meaning noone could tank it...actaully...lynn tried to tank it...he got buffed up to 40k health................then got hit for a couple of 33k attacks from netherspite :P i dont know about kay, but i wasnt getting hit for more than 4k i think at max...

we also as a group had a hard time getting back into the right beams after the banish phase...we seemed lost and werent that effective....

we did a GREAT job of getting in the right beams initially...they start off in the same place every time (red on the right, not sure on other two)...we also did a great job of running north (by the windows and the telescope) during the banish phase...that prevented any damage to us for that 30 seconds...the locks also had a lot of success drain tanking....two locks definteily is a bonus from what I understand...

dont know if anyone else realizes it, but if we can master netherspite and nightbane we will have officially mastered all of kara :) heres to great twilight success!

oh.....and HUGE grats to Rockn on getting the T4 helm from the prince! Grats!

Nixphire

Yeah, great work! Fun fight. watching one of those videos it talked about having 4 tanks. Including a hunter, since they wear mail. Might need to throw that in and that debuff is a bit wrong on the wowwiki, definitly 2 minutes.

Lynette

My thoughts from Netherspite...

Initially, the green beam is opposite side of the the room from the red beam, closest to the entry door.  It was very easy to grab it and get behind the target - perfect for a rogue.  The debuff did no harm to me.  However, the exhaustion prevented me from taking it again the 2nd time around after the Banish phase was done - Dagii got it without issue as far as I can tell. 

The blue beam was hitting Netherspite on and off a fair amount of time the second time we tried this.  I'm not sure if this is because the assigned folks had died or due to difficulty getting to it (not being able to cross beams is gonna be the tough part on this). 

Unlike the videos above, the door closes once the fight has begun.  Running to the telescope area seemed to work well during the banish phase.

I don't know about the out of range issues for the healers, but perhaps having a healer stationed on each side of the room would make sense.

I agree this is a precision fight that required lots of coordination - sounds like Shade to me.  We'll get it in time, just keep trying for him so we can get past the learning curve.

Nixphire

Quote from: Lynette on October 12, 2007, 09:10:42 AM
I don't know about the out of range issues for the healers, but perhaps having a healer stationed on each side of the room would make sense.
This could probably be fixed if we didn't run so far back. He only does melee damage and an AoE cone dmg in front of him. Arc was about half the distance as everyone else to the dragon so we shouldn't need to go ALL the way back.

Dagii

I'm thinking blocking the beams back closer to there source may help a great deal , least wise the blue an green ones....an limiting how much he has to move to make it easier for folks to stay in the beams....

genny

If you don't mind  i can add a few thoughts about netherspite. 

Now keep in mind my experience with him was as a caster dps but I paid close attention to what the tanks and blue beam dps were doing.

we had the two tanks taking the red and green beam, The tanks who took the red beam periodically would get out of the beam and then jump back in after 2-3 seconds, this helps avoid getting full of ticks before the minute is up and instead, you get to full ticks just as it's about to be up, the other tank would take the green beam, not much to say with that one, I'm not sure what would happen if the 2nd tank was a paladin though, we usually have war/druid.  And then rotate for each beam phase. (If need be, we could have a rogue step into the red beam if the timing got off with getting in and out of the beam for the tank and they needed a break)

For the DPS (blue) beam a lock could usually hold the beam for 1 whole phase, and then we'd have a shadowpriest for the second one and then if they needed backups, then whomever is available on dps can stand in. 

That's just how we did it on horde side.

I'm not really playing much wow at all anymore so i'm not sure if they're doing it differently, but it worked great like that.

Just gotta keep on your toes.

khader

Observations from the 'B' groups attempts last night.

Nether Exhaustion
Is applied 8 secs after stepping out of a beam.  Anyone stepping in a beam will get this debuff no matter how long you spent in the beam - just takes time for the buff effect to wear off after getting out of the beam.  Lasts for 2 minutes - preventing a person from blocking the beam of that color until it wears off.

Stepping in and out of the beams won't prevent Nether Exhaustion.  The debuff will occur after being out of the beam for 8 seconds.  You'll get the debuff at banish phase if 2 people share(step in and out of) a beam throughout the portal phase.

Blocking beams
Since the beams have effects that are positive and negative plus the effects of Nether exhaustion its necessary to rotate blockers for beams.
Red beam - 3 people preferably tank types - warrior, paladin, or druid
Blue beam - 3-4 people
Green beam - can be handled by one of the tanks for full duration.

Blocker only stands in beam for 25 seconds - anymore and negative effects become greater than positive effects. Exception is green beam on tanks.  Blocker signals next person in rotation so they can take over. 

phase 1 portal
red beam - tank A(25 ticks), tank B(25 ticks)
green beam - tank C (full duration)

phase 2 portal
red beam - tank C(25 ticks), tank A(25 ticks)
green beam - tank B(full duration)

blue beam would have similar rotation with ranged dps being careful not to stay too long or damage from nether burn will be too great. 

Banish phase
Might be helpful for the tank to remain engaged with netherspite to keep him in position. A  healer would need to be close by.  getting out of position makes getting beams blocked on next portal phase harder.  Immediately following banish phase, next tank in rotation needs to find red portal and be in position to block the beam to keep netherspite from moving around too much.

Our last attempt seemed to be on the right plan just needs more practice to get it all coordinated.

Grendeel

I like it Khader.  Kinda similar to what i posted in another thread. 

One addition id like  to make though is a lock can take the blue beam the entire phase 1.   On kara A attempt, i did the first phase the entire time, left the beam for phase 2 and had over 40 tics on me.   I still had full health and dotted and used sb occasionally  while in the beam.   Very easy for a lock if they use drain life.    This is supposed to be nerfed in the next patch however.

Nasanna

Good post, Khader. Keeping a tank in during the banish phase would be great for preventing Netherspite from running around after the banish phase before the portals start. And that way, he's already in position when the beams start up again.

Also, he will aggro onto a healer/whoever has aggro before the red beam pops up between when the banish finishes and the portals open again. As long as the healer is far enough away that they're not getting hit by netherbreath, that should work!

Another tip- since the room is so big, it's helpful to have one healer by the entrance and another by the telescope so they aren't running around trying to heal people who are out of range.

I think we just need a few more tries to practice getting the coordination down, then we'll get him!