WOTLK Mage Spec

Started by Avelandra, September 16, 2008, 09:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avelandra

Hey, I am thinking of going back to POM/Pyro to WOTLK. Here is the spec I am thinking of. Would like some general feedback.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/mage/talents2.html?tal=23002503000230215232010251132020550020103020010000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Its still preliminary and I have a little more tweaking to do.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" - Possum Lodge Motto
I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together.

Nixphire

If you're going to go that deep into Arcane, I would pickup Arcane Barrage.
What would this spec mainly be used for PVP or PVE? And what is going to be your main nuke?

Avelandra

main nuke is pom/pyro, instant pyro. I really like the bonus the arcane tree gives to the fireball/frostbolt too. PvE is really where I focus.

Nixphire

POM is on a 3 minute cool down. So I wouldn't consider that a main nuke. Just a nice way to say hello once every 3 minutes. And if you're going to be PVEing. It's best not to open with that because it would be a real big aggro grabber from tanks. For arcane. At least right now Arcane Missles are the main nuke for the Arcane tree. I'm not 100% sure how things will be changing in Wrath, but I believe it's some what the same.
Check this link out. It has a good run down of how the Beta is going:
http://elitistjerks.com/f31/t30655-mage_wotlk_talent_discussion_part_two/

Avelandra

Oh, by that i use fireball.

I don't open with Pyro unless i am soloing.

I like the arc tree because it gives bonus to +dmg, +crit, +regen, for all schools, not just arcane.

The arc tree in this spec gives me:

Increases int by 15%
+dmg equal to 15% of my int
+crit to my instant casts (Ice Lance, Fireblast, AE, cone of cold, etc)
Crit bonus increased by 50%
+6% spell haste
Increased crit chance while Clear casting
slow (good for frost immune snares)

The Fire spec gives me:

Scorch Debuff
-.5sec cast on Fireball (main nuke)
+6yd range on fire spells
+20% refund on crits
Reduced cool down on Fireblast
Ignite

Nixphire

You're leaving out a lot of other powerful fire talents. Combustion, Empowered Fireball, Pyromaniac, Molten Fury, Fire Power, Playing with Fire
If you spec up to Arcane Power, you can still reach them all. IMO all the above talents are great talents that increase your fire damage by huge amounts if your main nuke is going to be a fireball.  If you're going to spec into Arcane as far as you have, I would change your main nuke to Arcane Missle and move some of your talents around to show that. They're not as big of crits as POM Pyro, but Arcane Missle hits 5 times in a cast and the damage adds up.
Spec as you want. But the trees are hedged out for it's respective schools and have very powerful talents for each school of damage.

Hugh

This mage is Diff. goin to a acrane mage today and will be my raid spec :)

Nixphire

I'm still in love with Frost my self. Maybe because I'm a control freak. But it pushes out even better numbers now. As well as gives a great 10% debuff for the whole raid now.
With all the synergy, I wouldn't be too supirsed seeing people getting just HUGE crit chains.

Riddlerr

Just going over the glypths this morning and im pretty excited in regards to Glyph of Improved Scorch

-The Improved Scorch talent now generates 3 applications of the Improved Scorch effect each time Scorch is cast.-

Nixphire

I read over all the Major Glyphs as well. I didn't know how many of them there were. I'm in love with them all, having to choose which ones is going to be a little rough.

How about that baby polar bear one. LOL!
Ok, I'm going to polymorph Arcdelad into one of those, then he'll go bear form... then red rocket... lol!