Facebook Data Mining

Started by fiere redfern, July 31, 2010, 07:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fiere redfern

Coming on the heels of RealID, I'm starting to wonder if I should just boycott social networking sites entirely.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10802730

Kothnok

Anything on the internet is public by default.  Internet was built for the sole purpose of being able to heal itself if anything ever happened to a single part of it.  So anything fed to it is fairly permanent.

Take advantage of the fact that info is fairly permanent on the Internet... chaff is a valid defense.  Populate social sites with conflicting information about yourself.  No reason to make anything accurate unless you want it that way.  ie. spread FUD about yourself.  Become Fie, the Martian Chef or the Magnetic Chipmunk.  Create a band consisting solely of yourself playing the kudzu.  Put up enough disinformation and it becomes hard to tell what is real and what is fake... unless you already know the person in RL.

Computers and crawler software cannot distinguish between reality and make believe... so have fun with it. =)

No matter how often you refill the gene pool, there's always a shallow end.

Trismus

Koth, that is the single most amazing post I have ever read on the internet since I first bought a 28.8 modem. I'm totally stealing it.
Most people think Marv is crazy. He just had the rotten luck of being born in the wrong century. He'd be right at home on some ancient battlefield swinging an axe into somebody's face.