Why were going to win this war...

Started by Arcdelad, March 31, 2008, 10:26:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcdelad

Drygioni

http://blog.canoe.ca/loadthis/loadthis/2008/03/26/bell_canada_to_bittorrent_junkies_slow_d

The big thing there, they are capping independent ISPs who do not limit customers. So the ISP charges for unlimited bandwidth, but BELL caps it anyway.

Arcdelad

bastards! they cant do that to the 51st state of the united states!

we are smarter than they are though...well get around it...i have faith in the broke but computer saavy music consumer...

Grendeel

There is a lot more going on here than just file sharing. This net neutrality is a struggle over who owns the internet (the big isp providers or the public in general).   Some sites (political ones and ones that are in direct competition with the isp) have been completely blocked.  This battle has been going on for years and isnt over yet.

With the bandwidth aspect, it seems the isps down there are going towards what they do up here.  Rogers and Bell have 3 packages they offer.  The first 2 have caps on your d/l capacity and the last one for each is unlimited.  I have Bells unlimited :P (its cheaper than rogers where i am). I used to have Rogers basic one until they started enforcing the cap. Once they did that i had to research which was the cheapest. 

-edit

OH Dry thanks for the link.  I wasnt aware that practice had made its way north of the border.   Bell owns the physical resources for the internet but the public owns the land its on.   I guess the battle is coming to us now.

Drygioni

Yeah its going to really effect the business of the smaller ISPs. These small ISPs survive because they offer the unlimited bandwidth and highest speeds. Now people will find out they are limited anyway and will go back to the Bells and Rogers of the world.

I have the Bell unlimited too, and I notice slower speeds in peak hours. I heard a story on CBC radio that Bell has admitted slowing the DL speed in peak times, even for unlimited customers.

If we are the 51st state why is our money worth more than your's now Arc?  ;)