The good, bad and ugly of the console games

Started by Apolla, March 17, 2009, 09:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apolla

I for one, miss my Super Nintendo(SNES) and having hours of nothing to do makes me think about the good times when I didn't need Donkey Kong to perform weekly maintenance.  Me being the horribly addicted gamer from grade 2- happens to be curious what people thought were the good, bad and ugly of console games.

For me personally:

Good-Breath of Fire 1+2, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, Donkey Kong Country ftw
Bad-7th Saga, Smash TV and Sonic Pinball /shudders
Ugly-Lemmings. Do I really need to say more?

*I am not concerned with the details.*

Haderach

i concur with the good, i would also like too addd

Good: phantasy star games (genesis) mega man x games
Bad: Equinox, oh god why did we get that
Ugly: the super nintendo dracula x port, that was just.....ugh god

"Lord of Snaxxramas"
"Who need's a real doctor when you have my machines and their scary needles?" Dr.Zed from Borderlands

Arcdelad

Final Fantasy 6 still to his day is the absolute best console RPG of all times IMO,...i loved FF2, and played the Breath of Fire games, but the story, music, and presentation of FF6 are still unmatched.

Lufia 1 and 2 though were EPIC - few people played these RPG's, but they were very very good.

Apolla

I still have to say the original Final Fantasy for the NES was king, as it had the potential to live up to the name *cough cough FFXII*
Although I will say I have a soft spot for a decent platform game or two.  Crash Bandicoot=win, Sonic on the Dreamcast was epic for when it came out to say the least IMO.

fiere redfern

I'm a PC gamer, so my knowledge of console games is pretty much limited to the N64 and whatever I've managed to play at friends' places. IMO:

Good: Zelda (Ocarina of Time), Super Mario Bros., Tekken \m/, Mortal Kombat
Bad: Zelda (Majora's Mask - nifty design, terrible execution)
Ugly: Shaq Fu (I actually saw this game on a school-friend's shelf /shudder)

Apolla

kajunlady

the Good- nintendo  the nightmare on elm st. and who framed roger rabbit!!!! were just awsome for  me :P

" The Hardest Job is watching day by day your children grow up and wondering if you really did do all you could for them"
unknown

" I did it because I can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said YOU said I couldn't"
UNKNOWN
"The futue is not something we enter,but something we create"
UNKNOWN

Haderach

aye arc, i still have my cart version of the original lufia, im trying to get a cart verison of lufia 2, we also have secret of mana, evermore, FF6 (on the snes cart, so 3 at the time XD) breath of fire...EARTHBOUND, and so on

"Lord of Snaxxramas"
"Who need's a real doctor when you have my machines and their scary needles?" Dr.Zed from Borderlands

Apolla

I totally forgot about Earthbound!  AMG :o

Mr. Saturn FTW

Haderach

"Lord of Snaxxramas"

Tony

I was all about Killer Instinct

TJ Combo FTW

Arcdelad

C-c-c-c-c-c-c-c-ombo breaker.........Jago......glacius....

Ullllllllllllllllllllllllllltraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Comboooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

I spent more quarters on this game than any other growing up...my friends and i would go to a local dollar movie theatre that had this and drop $20 a pop easy...

if anyone can find me some Killer INstinct .wav files I would be forever indebted to them =)

Apolla

Killer Instinct broke open the doors for other successful button mashing games Ie Tekken  :)

I got the old Snes cartridge if ya want arc. Classically cheesy game is classic and cheesy.

dharq

KI was so cool back in the day. Can't remember how many days we skipped class to go play it in the arcade.. and then when it hit the nintendo...  :D

Good: Almost any RPG.
Bad: Almost everything Atari. Activision made some cool games though.
Almost bad: The first mega man... great concept, awesome graphics, awesome characters.. No save feature. sucked monkeys that you had to play through it in one sitting.

Arcdelad

I had the cart myself...it wasnt as good as the rare arcade version, but it was okay...

Ive had about every single game system that came out until I got married...

Atari, Collecovision, NES, Master System, Genesis, Game Gear, SNES, Gameboy, SegaCD, 3DO, Atari Jaguar, Playstation 1-2, N64, Gamecube, X-box...

...and now I just have a Wii lol

Anyone remember "Way of the Warrior" or the Street Fighter version on the 3DO? Or that wickedly cool ALiens vs Jaguar game for the Atari Jaguar?