Attn: QuestHelper and Outfitter Users

Started by Shadowwolf, March 21, 2009, 04:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowwolf

Just an FYI, if you use the addon QuestHelper, the author is discontinuing it.

Apparently he's unhappy with Blizzard's rule about not soliciting donations for addons within the game and thats his excuse for stopping further development which seems kind of...well...lame to me.

Anyhow, heres the post:

Quote* Disable donation request.

Bad news, everyone. Questhelper's dead.

Blizzard just posted their new UI Add-On Development Policy at http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/policy/ui.html. The important part is that I'm no longer allowed to ask for donations in-client. I know how much I got before I added the in-client reminder - it doesn't pay a significant fraction of the bills. And, as much as I like you guys, good intentions don't pay for my apartment.

So that's it. I'm going to be finishing up and releasing v1.0, and I'll keep posting incremental database improvements every month or two. I do plan to keep QH functional, at least through the end of Wrath, and probably further. I've got one or two features in mind that I want to do for my own sake - a few achievements, mostly - but besides that (and the v1.0 release) that's pretty much all there's going to be.

I would like to say: thanks to everyone who donated in the past. I enjoyed working on this quite a bit, and I always enjoyed seeing another donation come in - not just because of the money, but because it meant that people wanted to use QH and wanted to keep it going.

Let Blizzard know if you don't like it, and if I can get an exception, I'll start everything right back up again

The same thing came from the author of Outfitter:

QuoteBlizzard has published new policies which prohibit addon developers from numerous actions. While none of these policies affect me directly, I believe that addon authors should have the right to charge for their work if they wish, and I believe they should have the right to solicit in-game donations if they wish.

I will no longer add value to the World of Warcraft with my addons as I believe these policies are demeaning to developers and continue a system of treating addon developers as if their time and products are worthless.

Blizzard is probably well within their rights to institute this policy, but I'm well within my rights to disagree with it and refuse to support their game any longer.

Im not sure what the focus of not being able to solicit donations in game is with these people, they are still allowed to on the addon site if they want. Anyhow, for those that use Outfitter its not a terribly big deal, 3.1 is going to introduce a gear manager similar to it so it pretty much becomes obsolete then anyhow.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

kajunlady

ahh im going ot be so lost with out quest helper :(

" The Hardest Job is watching day by day your children grow up and wondering if you really did do all you could for them"
unknown

" I did it because I can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said YOU said I couldn't"
UNKNOWN
"The futue is not something we enter,but something we create"
UNKNOWN

Shadowwolf

Theres other stuff out there.

Lightheaded, Cartographer_QuestInfo

While Im all for developers receiving some sort of compensation to their work, I think these folks are missing the point of developing in open source, esp with regard to it being as an enhancement to a corporations revenue generator. They fail to understand that Blizzard is being considerate in allowing development of such addons and could just as easily block them outright. This is one of those things that if you develop you do it for the enhancement of the game, not what you can get out of it.

This looks to be a way for Blizzard to curb Curse from getting out of hand which I praise.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Tony

The greatest thing about the open source community is that when something, or someone in this case, is lacking, the rest of the community steps up. There will always be a way to track your quests, and guide you thru your journey. While I disagree with addons like questhelper because the take away the "Storyline" and "Exploration" type of thing from the game, I do use them because they help. I'm sure we will see some improvements on things like questhelper and outfitter.

In the case of outfitter, you can do the same thing with macros, so I really wont miss it that much.

Nasanna

Quote from: Diseous on March 22, 2009, 10:17:35 AM

In the case of outfitter, you can do the same thing with macros, so I really wont miss it that much.

Blizzard is adding their own version of Outfitter in the next patch so you probably won't even need to bother with macros. Scroll down to the "Equipment Manager" section. http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/underdev/ui.html