Need help making a fairly simple addon.

Started by Trismus, October 18, 2008, 07:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trismus

Hey guys,

As most of you know, Sudden Death is a new deep-arms talent which gives a 30% chance to proc a 10 second ability which will allow the use of Execute regardless of what % health the target is at. This is obviously immensely powerful in pvp. However, it unfortunately requires constant monitoring of my buff-bar, which makes me easier to kite.

I know there's a warlock mod that procs a sound whenever nightfall is added to the buff menu, but I know NOTHING about xml, lue or how to make addons. Does anyone know how I could go about this, or where I could find a decent step-by-step guide? I've been looking, but most guides do not address my questions directly, or at all. Any suggestions?

-Tris
Most people think Marv is crazy. He just had the rotten luck of being born in the wrong century. He'd be right at home on some ancient battlefield swinging an axe into somebody's face.

Kothnok

QuoteI know there's a warlock mod that procs a sound whenever nightfall is added to the buff menu...
I would start by editing that addon by finding the word Nightfall used in it's files and change them to whatever buff you wish to monitor and see if that works.

Or start here: http://www.wowwiki.com/Portal:Interface_customization
No matter how often you refill the gene pool, there's always a shallow end.

Nixphire

I wouldn't mind one like this for both fingers of frost and my free fireball. Let me know what you find Tris. I really know nothing about add ons, but what is the name of the add on for locks?

Nasanna

fiere redfern

Here's an easy solution for you, Tris - the default Blizzard scrolling combat text will either show you or you can option it to (I forget which) show when you receive/lose buffs. The notification produces a fairly large <Buff Name Here> in the center of your screen. I use it to determine when Nightfall procs on my warlock - works like a charm.

Shadowwolf

Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Air

I'm pretty sure Mik's combat text already does this.  It does it for Overpower or Hammer of Wrath.
"Don't be a Dick." - Wil Wheaton
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." - Will Rogers

Trismus

wow, thanks guys =)

Enormously helpful posts. Currently, I do use the scrolling combat text, but I like a sound cue... I try to keep as much stuff on sound as possible with distinctive sounds at that. The reason for this is efficiency: every millisecond spent reading is one where I could miss some vital opportunity to win a match. The warlock addon is called Locknotes, and can be found on curse. Unfortunately, it has not been updated for 3.0.2 yet.

It yields audio Qs for BoF, BoP, Divine Shield, CloS, Nightfall, and many other things. Unfortunately, I cannot find where they say "nightfall" in it, which leads me to believe either a.) my file is corrupted somehow or b.) the buff has a different name for purposes of the addon.

-Tris
Most people think Marv is crazy. He just had the rotten luck of being born in the wrong century. He'd be right at home on some ancient battlefield swinging an axe into somebody's face.