Serpentshrine Cavern - The Lurker Below

Started by Shadowwolf, January 21, 2008, 03:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowwolf

Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Air

Here's what I saw when I did Lurker earlier:

For the islands, we had 3 ranged dps.  I was in a group with a shadow priest and a fire mage.  Us 3 were enough to take down the casters that came to the island.  This is something where hunters will excel at.  The casters come to the same spots every time.  So its very easy to lay a trap just as there coming to us.  Since we only have 3 mages for 25 mans I suggest they sheep the adds in the middle, those will be our biggest issue during his submerging.  For the islands, just trap one and dps the other one.  Theres no need for a tank on the islands.  But there will be a need for tanks on the main island.  One strategy I heard was to keep as many of them sheeped during the entire fight.  I think only the ones we kill will continue to respawn.

For tanking Lurker, the tank actually stayed underwater during the entire fight, and a paladin healer underwater with him close by healing just the tank.  Reason for the healer was because there is LOS problems for the healers healing the tank.  This way theres a healer on the tank at all times.

For healing, gonna need a healer for each island.  When Lurker does his Spout everyone needs to jump into the water and continue to dps.  The water doesn't do alot of damage but does take it's toll. Healers will need to keep an eye on there group.  In order to help with LOS, all healers should be on the main island so they're in range of the MT and there own group.  A slight issue we had was that people (melee ;)) were waiting until the last second to jump into the water.  Which usually ends up them dieing.  So they had someone call out spout and EVERYONE jumped into the water until spout completely stopped.

When it says a knockback is about to happen, range need to go to the back of there island to avoid it.  Melee im not so sure, may need to jump into the water for it.  This knockback is nasty. So bad that, after a wipe a priest rezzed me only to die again soon after because I was so far away.

Biggest issues I saw were LOS problems with healing and melee dieing because of spout.  Range classes have a clear advantage on this fight.  I think the biggest issue for us will be those two along with handling the adds in the middle.  After doing Void Reaver and Gruul, I do think Lurker is easier than those two.

For hunters, pets will freak out on this fight.  The problem is if we keep our pets with us on the islands, the pets will refuse to go to Lurker.  What I did was to stay my pet on the opposite side of the MT, more or less behind Lurker.  After that my pet was able to stay with Lurker the entire time.  I did have to heal him on occasion.  To heal my pet, I had to run to the main island and get within range of my pet to use Mend Pet.
"Don't be a Dick." - Wil Wheaton
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." - Will Rogers

Jilinna

i was looking up strategies for how to down Lurker for melee classes and found a video filmed from a rogue point of view, it certanitly helped me alot to see it visually then writen down.

http://files.filefront.com/3iobLURKERwmv/;8888871;/fileinfo.html

hope it helps a bit  :)
Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness and a gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and leads to all that is good, true and beautiful.
-PLATO

Shadowwolf

I uploaded and set Jil's video to stream off our server so no one has to download. Here it is:

No video? Get the DivX Web Player for Windows or Mac
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Belandand

From a melee stand point...stay on the Lurker's spawn point island (the doughnut shaped island). More specifically, stand where it seems that the brown platform dives into the water. When Lurker begins casting spout, jump into the pool of water where he stays. Dive down a bit and just continue dps. But remember to check when he stops spouting and get back topside (this is another annoying issue altogether :(  ). I have been doing this every subsequent time after the first time I engaged Lurker, and my dmg on this boss has severely increased.