Shadowwolf

Links:
http://www.wowwiki.com/High_Warlord_Naj%27entus

Video:
[youtube=500,425]gbBH0RaSgOI[/youtube]

Abilities:

• Health - 3,800,000
  • Melee - ~4500 on plate
  • [spell=39837]Impaling Spine[/spell] - Hits a random player for 4513 to 4987 physical damage along with stunning the player and dealing 2750 damage every 3 seconds. Another player can right click on the spine sticking out of the affected target to loot the spine in their inventory (see Tidal Shield for use).
  • [spell=39835]Needle Spine[/spell] - Deals 2890-3910 physical damage to 3 random players and an additional area of effect spell of 2280-2520 to anyone within 6 yards.
  • [spell=39872]Tidal Shield[/spell]: Naj'entus buffs himself to be impervious to normal attack and spells. Also regenerates health at a rate of 1% every 2 seconds. It can only be broken by an [item]Naj'entus Spine[/item] and once broken will deal 8500 Frost damage to the raid. Lasts 45 seconds or until broken.
  • Berserk (Hard Enrage) - After 8 minutes he gains 500% damage increase and 150% attack speed

Suggested Strategy:

Because of his Needle Spine ability (see abilities section), everyone will have to spread in the room as shown in the pic below:

[attachimg=1]

As shown in the positioning diagram, you have to tank him in the middle of the room. Once he is pulled, you should let 10 seconds to the main tank for him to have good aggro since the whole raid will go all out dps until the boss dies.

Naj'entus will start using Needle Spine the seconds he is pulled, so you will  have to get quickly in position in the room, make sure you are at least 6 yards away from other ranged (dps and healers), otherwise you will get hit by Needle Spine AoE damage.

At 20 and 40 seconds, Naj'entus will throw an Impaling Spine to a random target, the ppl close to that target have to quickly loot it (and be ready to use it on Tidal Shield when everyone is above 8500 health). Naj'entus will always fire Impaling Spine at the same rate, 20 and 40 seconds after each Tidal Shield.

After 1 minute into the fight, he will use his Tidal Shield ability, he will be immune to all attacks and spells and will only melee the main tank, while the bubble is up you have to make sure everyone is above 8500 hitpoints, then have the one who looted Impaling Spine to use it on bubble to burst it. After bursting the bubble, you have 15 seconds to heal/bandage/pot up before he resume his Needle Spine Ability.

This process will repeat until the boss dies.

Macros

This is a quick method to throw a spine from the inventory:

/tar High Warlord Naj'entus
/use Naj'entus Spine
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

capnpop

Melee/ranged/healers(to a lesser extent):

After bursting the bubble, you have 15 seconds to heal/bandage/pot up before he resume his Needle Spine Ability.

Air

When people get hit by a spine.  We could try having people stay close to the people in there group.  Try marking one of the people in the group, so everyone knows who they should be staying close to.  Would still need to spread out, to avoid taking to much damage.  Also, dps should try keeping an eye out for spines, so healers dont need to worry about, and keep focus on healing.
"Don't be a Dick." - Wil Wheaton
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." - Will Rogers

Luise

This fight seems to be a big strain on healers.  I was running out and bandaging but that only helps a bit. We got him to 68% with 24 players pretty easy- the problem is keeping up the dps and keeping alive. I found it really hard to keep myself above 8500hp and dps - should we go for more defensive gear?

Shadowwolf

Arc brought up the idea of some PvP gear. I suppose you could mix it in some if you need to bump hp up, but the problem is you dont want to gimp your dps too much as this is in a sense a race of killing him. The faster he dies, the less healing intensive it will be and less likely healers will run OOM.

For tonight's tries, I had a ton of [item]32850[/item] made up so people can pop a pot to make it a little easier on heals.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Air

Found this link.  http://www.worldofstrats.com/NajentusTrash/tabid/82/Default.aspx

According to Wow raid and dungeons, the trash before Naj'entus is some of the hardest in BT.  Everything else is stupid stuff like huge aggro radius, or people getting MCed.
"Don't be a Dick." - Wil Wheaton
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." - Will Rogers

Melonni

A few obvious things: After the bubble burst, DPS bandaid/HS/pot. Boss' hit box is pretty large, melee can spread out more than what we were doing last night (doing so lessens the likelihood of unnecessary damage via his AoE thingie).

On healers, would it be worth considering 1-2 of our priest healers respec into [spell=34866]Circle of Healing[/spell]? Not a forced respec of course, but it's supposed to be a fantastic skill for certain encounters. Also, are we using enough healers? The strats I've read, as well as asking some friends experienced with the encounter, say they use 7-9 healers, even if 1-2 are non-resto druids wearing resto gear to help out.

Riddlerr

I forget where i read this,  but using that many healers would be overkill they stated since the 8 min enrage timer.  But it depends on the group.. im not sure on how well we were doing with the timer last night.

Rocknlock

I just noticed a lot of ranged dps/healers standing too close to each other and getting hit with overlapping dmg from the aoe, and once or twice I seen the bubble burst pretty much immediately after his tidal shield went up. So I'd say spread out more to ease the stress on the healers so they can save their mana for when the bubble bursts. Because once it does, I think most of us could easily be killed by the first aoe that hits us after the damage from the bubble. Maybe pop your healthstones on the first time the bubble pops to help as well, then the 2nd time you can use a health pot if its not on cd, and 3rd time the hs cd should be ready to use another one. Also I think we were dpsing him down pretty decently, so I don't think we need to worry about the enrage timer too much if you need to bandage some. When his tidal shield goes up, everyone should be bandaging anyways since you can't do any damage to him for the time being. Top yourself off as best you can and be ready to use your healthstone/healing pots when the bubble drops.

Grendeel

Healing is the significant thing in this fight imo.  Im told some guilds go in there with 9 healers because this is a huge strain on them.  I dont think we will get 9 so i think we should try something different.

Priests have a powerful spell (PoH or prayer of healing). When this hits 5 people it is very mana efficient and extremely fast at topping up raid healing.  My PoH heals each target for the same amount (a bit more) as a flash heal does.  So effectively (for mine anyway), your are getting 5 flash heals cast with one PoH.  Thats  7.5 secs cast time for flash heal as compared to a 2 sec cast time for PoH.  Also the mana cost of one PoH is much less than the cost of 5 flash heals.  At present we group most healers into one group which effectively makes this spell useless.  I suggest we do what Air suggested, which is to have each of our groups stand in the same area.  Added to this, i would place a priest in each of the 3 ranged groups we have.  When it becomes time to burst the bubble, we can have each of the 3 priest using PoH.  We can have Dem (our Shammy) chain heal the melee group.  We can also try and put one druid in each group (one definitely in the melee group) to cast their spell that regens group hp.

For the priests, once the bubble is burst they can cast PoH  twice again topping off thier groups.  Since its a 15 sec window before the boss resumes damaging us, this still affords time to get one or 2 tics outside the mp5 rule, thus allowing mana regen around 700-1500.  If they use that talent (forget the name) which makes the next spell 100% mana free, its possible to get 3 tics outside of the mp5 window (2200ish mana regen).

Warlocks should allways be draining life to ease the strain on the healers during this period as well.

If we have any priests with circle of healing talent, this is a good fight to be using it.

Luise

We did have one slot empty in our group (3) last night too- with a healer in there that would be a big help. Sorry that Era couldn't make it- he's at his dad's and had to go to a family funeral.

Riddlerr

The picture below is close to what i was  talking about standing like 'marching band'.  I noticed a huge problem was people getting spiked but  no one removing it or it took to long.   A second could mean life or death.

A site that has guides for every raid is http://www.raidguru.net

JohnnieRat

i love how the dude freely admits he AFKd in fight as a DPS'r

Shadowwolf

Updated the macro on this guy to remove the problems we saw this evening.

Also, ALL DPS needs to work to remove spines on people close to you ASAP. People healing are going to be far too busy trying to keep everyone alive on this fight to help with spine looting.

The goal here is to knock down his HP about 20% (or more if possible) between each shield. If we can do that and keep tabs on removing spines, hes as good as dead. That means DPS has to be hardcore from the start and tanking needs to be tip top as well to retain threat.