Shadowwolf

Links:
http://www.wowwiki.com/Supremus

Video:
[youtube=500,425]FCq_W82GxTQ[/youtube]

Abilities:

Phase 1

• Melee: over 5k on plate, over 10k crushing
  • [spell=40255]Molten Flame[/spell]: [spell=40265]Blue fire[/spell] sent along the ground in a straight line toward random players that deals 3325-3675 fire damage every 1 second while stood on. Ability used every 20 seconds.
  • Hurtful Strike: A massive melee ability applied to the second highest on his aggro list. If there are no other melee targets in range, it will be performed on the main tank instead.
  • Fire rResistance: High resistance to fire damage

Phase 2 (Continues all of Phase 1 abilities as well)

• Gaze: Supremus will target a random player and follow that target around for 10 seconds at 90% of normal movement speed. Switches targets after 10 seconds.
  • [spell=40126]Molten Punch[/spell]: Once a targeted player is within a 40 yard range, Supremus will do a knockback ability for 5250 damage.
  • [spell=42052]Volcanic Geyser[/spell]: Emoting "the ground begins to crack open", Supremus will summon small volcanoes that spit out blue flames for 4163-4837 fire damage in a 15 yard radius.

Suggested Strategy:

The two tanks should run up to the boss and engage him whilst the rest of the raid should spread out around him in a crescent shape. Ranged classes should not get too close to him at any time.

[attachimg=1]

Phase 1 is your basic tank and spank fight. As long as nobody over-aggros he will stay on the tank for the duration of the phase.

Supremus will do a secondary attack, similar to Gruul or Patchwerk's Hateful Strikes. This attack will deal about 7k damage every 5 seconds to the raid member with the highest HP with significant threat. This will be the offtank, so long as the offtank is actively building threat, and so he or she will need to be healed up.

Tanks should build aggro quickly on him and keep building it, allowing the DPS to deal as much damage as quickly as possible.

Healers need to be aware of how hard he hits - a crushing blow will often reduce the tank to below half his HP; keep the tank topped, and keep the offtank(s) alive.

Melee needs to be aware of where Molten Fire on the ground is coming from and move accordingly - staying in this fire will result in your death.

Ranged DPS and healers should also move as soon as they see the Molten Fire coming towards them. It does not change direction so there is no excuse for not moving out of it.

60 seconds after he has been engaged Supremus will switch to Phase 2.

Phase 2
This phase is much more hectic.

Since there is no aggro table during phase 2, DPS can continue unrestricted, just make sure there are no DoTs active on the switch back to phase 1. Melee damage dealers must be extra careful to stay outside his melee range, else they're immediately dead when he switches focus to them. It's also possible that he kills a target within melee range without first changing focus.

As phase 2 begins Supremus will set his gaze on a raid member. This person must at all costs move away from him quickly. He is very slow (you can outrun him, he walks at about 90% of normal normal movement speed) but if he catches a non tank he will one shot them. He will also perform Molten Punch, a knockback effect dealing 5k damage, if the targeted person gets too close to him (about 40 yards).

He will continue to shoot the streams of Molten Fire out from under him during this phase; again just move out the way.

Small volcanoes will spawn during this phase in seemingly random locations. They spew out blue fireballs which deal significant fire damage (4500 damage). They are however very easy to spot and to avoid.

[attachimg=2]

Tanks during this phase you should chase Supremus and keep your rage topped - As he returns to phase 1 it is an aggro reset so you need to get him under control as soon as possible. If possible move him back to his starting position; this will make it easier for the raid to DPS him.

Healers be aware that raid members will be taking damage from the volcanoes during this phase. Keep them up. The person being targeted by Supremus may also be knocked back for significant damage; keeping a shield/HoT (Heal over Time) spell on them is advisable.

Melee DPS Don't stick to him like glue during this phase; if he switches his Gaze to you then you will go squish! Stay at a 20 yard range until he has picked up his next target. You then have a short amount of time to DPS him before he switches again.

Ranged DPS Go all out on him during this phase: aggro is not an issue. He moves slowly so you shold keep your distance and attack him with your highest damage abilities. However be aware that when he returns to phase 1 it is an aggro reset; watch those DoTs.

Hunters and Warlocks can feel free to use their pets - he does not target pets with Gaze, although be aware that the pets will take damage from Molten Fire/Volcanic Geyser. Keeping an imp out with Phase Shift is probably the Warlock's best bet if you wish to use a pet.

Everyone has plenty of space to move in so make sure you keep away from him if he targets you. The courtyard you are fighting in counts as outside, so Druids may well wish to use travel form, Shamans use Ghost Wolf form etc. This is not a necessity however.

After he has switched target 5 times he will return to phase 1.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

capnpop

quick rundown of a couple fine tuning aspects for this boss. 

Phase 1:
Tanks, there is no need to fight over the top of threat...once an assigned tank has it just let him or her have it.  With the big heals that are being tossed around if you get aggro when someone else has it there is no instant 4k+ heal coming your way and if you are ranged differently so that healers need to move, there is a good chance that you will die.  The HoTs are already on them, they have big heals landing and immediately being re-cast, switching targets can just be enough to cost a tank his or her life.

Great job keeping Supremus relatively contained following the phase 2 to 1 transitions on the last shot, very few stragglers were 1-shot due to the touchy aggro.

Phase 2:
It worked nice keeping the tanks following Supremus around but if he focuses one of you don't try to tank him.  Everyone is spread out all over the place (including your healers).  It is much easier to just run away, take the couple shots in the back, and tank him when he's actually tankable.  Everyone else: don't quit moving.  Stay on the run as much as you can, those damage-doers use whatever instant-casts you can to do some damage and try to keep everything else in a 1-cast-and-move rotation.  You may never get volcano'd but the one time you do and you don't immediately stopcasting and run you'll be dead in the 3 ticks of the volcano you're almost guaranteed to get...

Good job tonight everyone, some very good tries in there :)

Air

For the volcano's, I've been told aren't completely random.  It's based on the spacing of everyone in the raid.  If people get to clumped up together, there's a chance a volcano will pop up.  Spreading out so no one is close together should help out.
"Don't be a Dick." - Wil Wheaton
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." - Will Rogers

Luise

I noticed that - the raid group seemed to run around fairly bunched up - and more volcanoes were near the group. I found less volcanoes were in the area way behind him.

Shadowwolf

When everyone stayed spread and away from other people and kept moving, very few people were killed by volcanos. The key is to keep moving, I basically just hit the autorun key and only pause briefly to toss a quick heal on those that need it.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

fiere redfern

The other thing to remember is not to scatter around the main path too much. I noticed that when volcanoes spawned, they tended to spawn right underneath people - meaning that if two unlucky people get volcanoed who are on opposite sides of the path right when Supremus switches phases, as a tank I basically have to make a suicide run through both volcanoes in order to get to Supremus and start sucking up his Hateful Strikes again. Especially since my only other option is to run the long way around the catapaults and take even longer to reach him. =/

On a different note.. he can move pretty quickly when he wants to - kept having to charge at him just to keep up >.<

Shadowwolf

We were losing quite a lot of people to the fire and Volcanos tonight. Once Khader suggested the tanking spot, that did a good job of eliminating him 1shotting melee dps as often, but the rest of the deaths we need to clean up.

Volcanoes spawn on people, so that means on phase 2, if you keep moving, you'll likely be able to avoid being hit by one more than once or twice. It also means you need to stay far away from other people. Dont clump up into groups, spread far out.

Melee DPS and even range DPS needs to start moving and spreading out away from him as soon as you see "The Ground Begins to Crack Open..." You have roughly 5 seconds before he starts targeting and chasing and if youre melee and in close, youll get 1shot easily.

Fire...IDK what to suggest here, you just have to watch for it and move. Melee if you have to back all the way out and wait for it to go away before going back in to DPS, so be it. Melee though can still be far enough away from him to have some sort of warning to see the Fire headed your way to move. Tanks are the only ones that will be so close to him making it difficult which they will move him if they end up in the fire. Turn your spell detail up if you have to, if its set to low, you will likely not see it and pay attention to your health bar.

Kothnok

FYI, both the fire and the volcanoes have a larger area of effect than their graphic implies.  Don't move to the edge of the fire and stop or skirt the edge of a volcano blast as you will still be hurt and likely killed (as happened to me twice last night).  I also witnessed someone standing still on phase two and a volcano spawned right on top of them as I ran past.  I stopped just outside the volcano's graphic radius and tried to cast a heal on the person it spawned on and got killed for my effort.  Lesson: always keep moving and do not trust the graphic edge to mean you're safe from harm.
No matter how often you refill the gene pool, there's always a shallow end.

Arcdelad

QuoteHateful strike: A melee attack which does 27,750 to 32,250 physical damage, before mitigation, to the target with the highest current health within melee range.

This means this fight is just stupid for melee....and I can speak I think for all melee in saying it really, really, really sucks...

Theoretically all tanks are around him and they have higher health than us melee dpsers...but for whatever reason (lack of healing on them, too many hurtful strikes too fast, volcano/fire then strike combo, etc etc) melee just ends up getting picked off one by one due to this attack...

if youre a rogue, you might as well throw your knife at him the whole time IF you want to stay alive...

if your a feral druid, might as well go bear form OR break out the moonie spells and do 200 wrath crits until you run OOM in 5 seconds...

dps warriors should /dance or just wait until they are inevitably smeared into the ground...enhancement shaman should hope they have been working on an elemental set...

unless we can keep all tank types in melee range topped off and they successfully avoid ANY, even for a second, fires or volcanoes and any strikes they recieve are healed ASAP, melee is doomed on this fight...

Grendeel

Time to put that healy set to good use Arc :P

Or try removing all things that increase your stam like kings and fort and food buffs or whatever.  Find some no stam gear with lots of dps stats.  I mean if u have 5k hp max  as compared to 20k, it dont matter.  Each is getting one shotted on the hurtful strike :P

Or since melee always die in the first round of phase one, maybe we should switch it around for the melee.  Stay alive phase 1 and dps phase 2.   Some will still die, but not all of you.

Its a horrible fight for melee,  but i still giggle at it :P

Lynette

Have to concur with Arc on this fight.  There are many meelee-unfriendly boss fights (such as A'lar), but this is perhaps the worst.

There are some aspects of this fight that seem either buggy or downright unfair.  Take last night for instance...

- During phase 2, I was constantly running away from Supremus when a volcano spawned right on top of me and killed me before I could get far enough away from it - I thought my health was topped, so I am at a loss as to why I could not get away quick enough (sprint was on CD).  Might need to save pots/healthstones for this situation.
- During phase 1, the fire branched underneath Supremus and struck those of us fighting him from behind.  So we moved away to his side (past the fire tail of the branch), only to see a new branch shoot out the same side we were fighting.  Now we have 2 branches basically covering the entire meelee area.  Arc & I die in an instant.  I wonder if this is by design.
- Phase 1 ends and phase 2 begins, Supremus starts to chase Elsabet, but decides to one-shot Fi on his way.

Seems to me that meelee MUST get away several seconds before the start of phase 2, in addition to waiting several seconds before engaging at the start of phase 1.  Also, meelee cannot engage whatsoever unless 2 tanks are already engaged and their health is up.  If only 1 tank is up, meelee must stay completely away on phase 1 the rest of the encounter.

A thought is for hybrids to help in other ways (heals or range dps) and rogues/fury warriors play very, very conservatively.  Healers may want to consider not even spending mana to heal us and under no circumstance should a druid brez a meelee toon during this encounter.

My 2 cents worth...

Kothnok

I like your idea Gren about fighting on phase 2, although if one of the melee gets chased, they're effectively one shot again.  :-\  The best bet would be to remove all the +stam stuff if possible.

Another tip I'd like to give out: I lived more frequently on this fight if I brought my arena boots with it's Enchant Boots - Minor Speed.  I never have to worry about mana during this fight as it's very easy for me to regen it during phase 2, so losing any uber healing/mana regen stats on my boots is no big deal compared with running out of Supremus' reach or getting out of fires/volcanoes quickly!
No matter how often you refill the gene pool, there's always a shallow end.

Shadowwolf

Melee lived longer once Khader suggested that tanks stand within the red targeting circle of the boss and melee stand farther away from him. Having 3 tanks on him prevents melee from being 1-shot right away because after he strikes the 1st offtank, he goes on the 2nd if the 1st isnt healed back up quick enough. Problem is if a melee DPSr is higher on threat or closer to him they get the strike instead. Phase 1 for melee is all about positioning and watching that threat, which kind of sucks yes, but there isnt anything we can really do about it to fix it. It is what it is unfortunately.

Arcdelad

I think Gren's idea has a shot...would like to try it...

I am also thinking of just going bear form with bear gear on...with 22.5k health, 50+% dodge and 32k armor I can take a hit from any boss in the game, and my bear form, tank gear dps is much greater than my lying-face-down-dead damage...

there is conflicting info about the role of threat for the hateful strike...shadow's source mentions it, but wowwiki indicates hateful strikes are only based on your health...

...and lynn is right...dont brez a melee this fight LOL one time I died 4 times on him in ONE FIGHT lol....

Shadowwolf

I agree, his strike is very buggy and doesnt hold to any visible "standard" of sorts. Theres been times that ive been hit with it healing Khader and I was nowhere near him.