Illidan Stormrage

Started by Shadowwolf, October 23, 2008, 12:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khader

Couple of observations from the fight

Flames of Azzinoth
Geos and I found that tanking the Flames facing away from the raid works best.  We can see each other so its easier to keep in sync when moving.  Also seems to allow melee help on dps by keeping them out of the flames most of the time.

If there are enough paladins it would be helpful to have 2 in the middle, one to each side, put up the Fire resist aura. At the very least one on side near me since Geos' aura doesn't reach me.  Those 70 additional resist points would be very helpful when standing in the fire from the flames and the beam.

Phase 4 - demon adds
All dps, ranged and melee, need to take down the spawned adds before they reach their target.  Last night several folks continued to dps on Illidan while the adds one shot people.  Staying alive and keeping others alive during p4 is more important than dps'ing Illidan.

Phase 5
Maiev Shadowsong should l2trap - perhaps one of our hunters could teach this useless npc something.  The times we got to p5, Maiev ran behind Felani all the way  to the wall to drop the trap.  Seems we have to plan on not being able to use the traps and just heal through the enrage.  Assigning healers should make that a non-issue.  Perhaps blizz could take 10 minutes from nerfing pallies to buff Maiev's trap skill.

Shadowwolf

Hehe, yea, I love her but shes a bit of a Huntard when it comes to traps. She put one in the center of the grate once last night, then another right by the Parasite kill spot neither anywhere near Illidan.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

LastDyingBreath

one issue I saw was felani getting beat down hardcore on phase changes.  the worst one I saw was right after we got shadow prison'd, and maiev had her little talk.  Illidan resumed dps on felani and down went frasier.  no time to cast heals.  Illidan does super spikey damage (nas was vocal about this  ;) ) and I think we need to find a way to preserve tanks.

On a related note, how hard is it to get illidan back on his physical tank after the warlock tank phase is done?  does soul shatter + misdirect do the trick, or do we need to find a way to keep the MT making threat on demon phase?

Melee, this is a brutal fight for us.  We absolutely have to watch our positioning.  The fire elementals will one shot the entire melee group if the aoe happens with improper facing.  I found that to the side and slightly behind the elemental (think safe dps zone on a dragon) gave me the best chance to get out of flame blasts.

as was said before, the shadow demons absolutely need to die priority #1.  paying attention will see us through them.

Lynette

Quote from: LastDyingBreath on October 27, 2008, 03:47:55 PM
one issue I saw was felani getting beat down hardcore on phase changes.  the worst one I saw was right after we got shadow prison'd, and maiev had her little talk.  Illidan resumed dps on felani and down went frasier.  no time to cast heals.  Illidan does super spikey damage (nas was vocal about this  ;) ) and I think we need to find a way to preserve tanks.

I noticed this as well.  Perhaps the MT can use [item]22797[/item] as soon as p5 begins, with healers bubbling/spamming quick heals in conjunction.

Quote from: LastDyingBreath on October 27, 2008, 03:47:55 PM
Melee, this is a brutal fight for us.  We absolutely have to watch our positioning.  The fire elementals will one shot the entire melee group if the aoe happens with improper facing.  I found that to the side and slightly behind the elemental (think safe dps zone on a dragon) gave me the best chance to get out of flame blasts.

as was said before, the shadow demons absolutely need to die priority #1.  paying attention will see us through them.

Good points.

Meelee do have it tough - phase 2 especially.  After being scorched numerous times by the eye beam, I found it best to just move to one of the corners of the grate if the beam was anywhere close to the side we were fighting and throw knives.  And the AE damage seems larger than the hitbox for the elementals as well.  Phase 2 is mostly about survival for meelee.

For phase 1, I'd suggest ranged dps play it somewhat conservatively and preserve their mana - no need to burn him here.  Meelee dps can go all out and do the bulk of the work to get him to 65% when he goes airborn.

Meelee's job in Phase 4 should really be totally focused on killing the 4 shadow demons when they spawn, and staying spread out as far as possible (just like Gruul).  Bandaid/pot after the AE hits and be ready to dps for phase changes to 3 or 5.

Also, meelee must be conscious of parasites on the MT.  We nearly wiped once from that.  If the MT gets parasited, back off until he is cleansed.

Finally, I strongly suggest all dps close their recount window and forget about their dps on this fight.  Extreme focus is required and no one should be worried about where they stand on the meters.

Tolwen

The best way I found to dps the fire eles without getting one shotted was to position myself inside the circle where the casters stand and attack from there and whenever there was a close eye beam on the side I was dpsing, I just changed to the other ele and dps it.

Again as people mentioned above, it is really important to get everyone spread out on the later phases (can be the difference between 6 people getting instant gibbed) and yea the shadow demons need to die asap since they one shot people a good idea is if you're a caster or healer move away from them so if Illi does the spell that damages everyone (specially if they're close)  the melee trying to kill the demons don't die that way.

Quote from: Shadowwolf on October 27, 2008, 11:45:44 AM
shes a bit of a Huntard when it comes to traps. She put one in the center of the grate once last night
I was watching the fight and was like wth?! ???

Tolwen

capnpop

Phase 2 thing:

When we downed Illi i was trying stuff with Blessing of Sacrifice to see if it would even out the dmg on Geos at all.  It seemed to help a bit (although BoSac is only 15 seconds I think).  The normal passive dmg went from 1500 per tick to 1k per tick (roughly) and I had Bacon on myself to keep my hps up when I healed geos.  Even when Geos would get hit with a spike I normally had enough healing on him to reactively heal myself up pretty well.