Warcraft Books

Started by Arcdelad, October 28, 2007, 02:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcdelad

Okay...I now in my nerdly and studious fashion have read every single Warcraft themed book they have ever made. Besides marking myself forever in the annals of geekness as chief librarian, these books have given me a GREAT knowledge of the lore that goes on in the game we all spend so much time playing.

Currently, there are eight books:

"The Last Guardian" by Jeff Gruub. This details Khadgar's arrival as Medivh's first apprentice at Karazhan, and shows Medivh's slowly increasing corruption as Sargeras, who is buried inside him, starts to exert more and more power. All of the Karazhan bosses make an appearance in the book, including creepy Moroes who from what I can tell, didnt change much from life to death. It also involves Garona, who later goes on to assassinate King Llane of Stormwind. This book makes raiding in Karazhan make a LOT more sense, as many of the drops and bosses are from the book (ie Garonas Signet Ring, KHadgar's Knapsack, the Shade of Aran charachter, etc etc).

A trilogy, "War of the Ancients" all written by Richard Knaak involved the very first invasion by Sargeras and the Burning Crusade into Azeroth, and the night elves who both caused this disaster and saved the world from it. We get to see Illidan and Malfurian Stormrage from the very begining (Illidan really isnt THAT bad...just had a rough life), the fall of the arrogant Queen Azshara, and the creation of the Demon Soul by the black dragon Nelfarion. Really well written.

"Rise of the Horde" by Christie Golden. Tells from the viewpoint of Durotan and Ogrim Doomhammer how the Horde was manipulated from being peaceful hunting clans, into killing off the Draenei from their home planet, to turning all of their shaman into warlocks. Its really neat to see guys like Gul'dan and such forming the Shadow Council, getting manipulated by Sargeras and such, and being forced to turn the peaceful Draenei into enemies. Told as a history from Thrall's standpoint.

"Day of the Dragon" by Richard Knaak. Talks about Korialstrasz sending a young wizard (Rhonin) to retrieve the Demon Soul froim the Orcs, who use it to control Alextrasza and the red dragon flight to fight for them. Shows some of the polotics and inner workings of how Deathwing, and later Onyxia, penetrated stormwind politics.

"Lord of the Clans" by Christie Golden. This accounts the slaughter of THralls parents, and how he was raised as a gladiator slave by humans...sheds a lot of insight into the charachter of Thrall.

"Cycle of Hatred" by Keith DeCandido. This is an account of Jaina Proudmoore deciding to fight off her own father...ie the expansion to WC3 (Frozen Throne).

I have read all these, and they are now sitting on my bookshelf next the the Norton Anthology of British Literature and the complete works of William Blake.

If anyone wants to read any of those, I would be MORE than happy to free of charge send you one via the mail or UPS. These books are actually well written, and they do make your warcraft experience start to make more sense.

They also beat standing in the Scholomance library and reading the clickable books to get this info :P

Darkstar

Evil, evil clicky books......

I did not know there was that many books out. I have seen from time to time as i walk through Borders here (our local bookstore in the mall) a book about WoW, seems like good reading.  There is also that series about the Blue dragon flight, am i correct?  I forget the name of the books. I really do enjoy a good book, it gives a break from gaming and working lol.

LastDyingBreath

so tell me WTH is maiden of virtue doing in the whorehouse?

Muridin

you wanna send me those books via Air Post Australia there arc   :P

i should go buy them, but none of the book stores in my region sell them, ill just have to be a gek and ask if they can order them in..../sigh

un4

un4

fiere redfern

^^ iawtp

I have only one of his books - I think it was the first or second in the Diablo-based series of novels. Where the original "hero" died, leaving his armor (which was possessed) behind. Been a LONG while since I last read it, but as I recall, it was a damn good story

un4

You need The Legend of Huma, then.
un4

Amberyle

Richard Knaak sounds familar what else did he write?  Did he do some dragonlance?

LastDyingBreath

Quote from: Kaelia on October 28, 2007, 08:15:33 PM
Richard Knaak sounds familar what else did he write?  Did he do some dragonlance?

yeah he was real big on dragonlance.

Legend of Huma and Kaz the Minotaur were his best two.  Weasel's Luck and it's sequel were pretty good.  I would have babies with Knaak if I could.

Arcdelad

Yeah Allo...there is a graphic novel (also by Knaak) called the Sunwell Trilogy that involves the blue dragonflight...I havent picked that up yet...its like $30, whereas these little paperbacks are $8...

Knaak is probably the best writer of those books...I havent read the dragonlance books or the diablo books, but hes a respectable writer. Christie Golden does well too, and I think she comes from a dragonlance background as well.

I also forgt the 9th book that just came out "Tides of Darkness"...i forget the author, but it deals with (as the name implies) the WC2 story line...it references heavily "The Last Guardian", so its almost a sequel-ish......

Consider this the Twilight "Library"...if anyone wants to read any of these send me a PM with your info and Ill ship it off right to you...kind of like Netflix........who still...owes me transformers.............bastards.....

un4

Quote from: LastDyingBreath on October 28, 2007, 09:37:34 PMWeasel's Luck and it's sequel were pretty good.
Weasel's Luck and Galen Beknighted... Michael Williams ;)
un4

LastDyingBreath

Quote from: un4given_one on October 29, 2007, 01:19:39 PM
Quote from: LastDyingBreath on October 28, 2007, 09:37:34 PMWeasel's Luck and it's sequel were pretty good.
Weasel's Luck and Galen Beknighted... Michael Williams ;)

o snap

you have the advantage though, every paperback in the house is in your room :p

un4

Pssh, I have them all memorized anyway.
un4