The January 18th Blackout of the Internet

Started by Shadowwolf, January 14, 2012, 06:44:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowwolf

In case anyone was not already aware, the rallies against SOPA and PIPA have called for an "Internet Blackout" on Jan 18th.

http://blog.reddit.com/2012/01/stopped-they-must-be-on-this-all.html

For everyone's reference, because of the need for our site to function for signups, help, communication, etc, we will not be partaking in the blackout.

No one hates these bills more than I but I also believe that all of our members, visitors and friends understand the negative impact these bills would have on the net should they be passed and that demonstrating what it would be like by making our site unavailable is unnecessary. The point of protesting is to raise awareness on the issue and as this would be a protest, I believe that our guild members and visitors are very much aware of the situation.

I support Reddit and other sites who have visitors of all walks that may still be yet unaware of these bills and I do believe that this protest will bring more awareness to those folks still not in the know. Due to the very limited audience we provide for, a blackout of our site would end up being an annoyance and hassle instead of a message.

If any of our TW Pack blog users wish to partake in this blackout, please let me know and I can make arrangements for you to be able to do so.

Thank you.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess