Blizzard Battle.net Has Been Hacked *Please Read*

Started by Shadowwolf, August 09, 2012, 06:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowwolf

Ladies, Gentlemen and Smizmar;

Blizzards systems were hacked recently. According to the post, Blizzard claims the information they have determined that was taken was email addresses, information on authenticators, the security question for account password loss and encrypted passwords were taken.

They claim that the password encryption method used is difficult to reverse engineer and that it is *unlikely* that it would be of any value. As a precaution they are advising everyone to change their passwords ASAP and any passwords on other things you might use the same password.

Being that most companies tend to downplay hacks of this nature, I would advise everyone to keep a close watch on your account in the near future. In addition I would also make sure to change the "Password recovery question" on your account as well.

Also, please keep an eye for any unauthorized purchases on any credit card you might have on file with Blizzard as well.

The full post can be viewed here: http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/securityupdate.html?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=launcher&utm_campaign=wow&utm_content=left-banner
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Tony

I'm still trying to find out how to change my secret question and answer, but according to a blog post http://us.battle.net/support/en/blog/6940803, it's not available yet? Other than calling in, is there a way to do that?

Lord Entropy

Tony,

I don't think there is - I looked for that too.  Blizz said they were going to send everyone a notification which would explain how to make the change.

Tony

Thanks for the heads up! I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Cottonbaler

Definitely watch your credit card. When my Discover card was compromised it was on Bliz and only used there. So I now use Discover's single use secure account option.

CB
Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn!

Friends help you move...
...REAL friends help you move bodies.

I Believe In Making Sacrifices. Can I Start With You?