2009 Personal / Team Arena Rating

Started by Trismus, May 25, 2008, 11:14:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trismus

Hey Y'all,

As you might now from a recent post of mine, I've been having a RL friend of mine help me out on arena. He has played 2300+ before and really knows his stuff. Anyways, as an exchange for some help he coached me in the finer ways of pwning people in the arena, and as a result I have gone from a new team 1500 rating to 2009 rating in 2v2. After 45 games, 39 wins and 6 losses, I now find myself sitting around with a pair of [item]Vengeful Gladiator's Plate Shoulders[/item]. In the next few weeks I will have my [item]Vengeful Gladiator's Greatsword[/item] and be completely finished with my s3 gearing, at which point I will be offering my help to people in 3v3 to get your ratings up as high as we can manage.

-Tris
Most people think Marv is crazy. He just had the rotten luck of being born in the wrong century. He'd be right at home on some ancient battlefield swinging an axe into somebody's face.

Melonni

Gratz on not being a noob anymore, Tris. :) But really hehe, that's awesome.

un4

un4

Soronus

Way to go buddy! Now to complete Freemarket!

Trismus

bah! Ninja bump.

We ended up getting it up to 2016, then switched to paladin partner and it crashed to 1870 ><
Most people think Marv is crazy. He just had the rotten luck of being born in the wrong century. He'd be right at home on some ancient battlefield swinging an axe into somebody's face.

Luise

well you can still get the Greatsword- :)
grats Tris. Will be posting you for hints in game soon :)

Jandris

Congrats Tris on your prowess and your new gear.  :D
bummer of on the pally dropping your score - guess that leaves me out  ::)

Trismus

It's a real shame, honestly. All our losses involved 15-20 minutes of running around, not dieing. He's fulls3/t6 with over 2400 + healing, so while we could kill the other teams due to lack of CC, they couldn't kill us until they simply ran him out of mana.

Frustrating thing is, now that I have this sword I think we could have one some of those matches, simply due to the added potential burst damage.

-Tris

Arcdelad

A sword does not make a win....your measly piece of bent steel doesnt hit me too hard, and im just a soft kitty cat =)

skill > gear

Melonni

Still it's no question that better gear can give one the edge needed to win - any time you've come "so close" to killing someone, better gear could easily have made that push for you.

Trismus

literally, that's the difference.

Mace spec gives stuns, which are invaluable in many 2v2 fights, particularly when paired with a druid as the fight revolves around CC and burst timing.

Sword spec adds significant dps. Getting an extra hit, if even for a measly 500, can make all the difference if the opponent drops down to ~10% and your execute is dodges, severely mitigated, or whatever. Even if enough rage is built up, a bit heal can land during the GCD, causing a missed opportunity. If the target is stunned it doesn't matter much unless they themselves are the healer. If you get an extra hit they die in either situation (healer or dps).

Also, in 5v5 with windfury, heroism, and all sorts of other goodies warrior dps goes from mediocre but respectable to devastating. An un-CC'ed warrior in 5v5 can annihilate the other team with unmatched alacrity, given sword + windfury + flurry + deathwish + trinket.

-Tris

P.S. I just remapped my keyboard yesterday, my dueling capabilities are severely limited as I am no longer as fast as I was. woot learning curve! Hopefully this new build will allow me to do a whole bunch of other nifty things, from being able to intervene/taunt pet, intercept, break cc, burst, and fire off a full round as fast as the GCD will allow to being able to consistently outmaneuver melee opponents, once I stop accidentally stance dancing and wasting rage due to hitting the wrong keys :p

LastDyingBreath

when I rebound vent to ctrl so vista didn't ding spam me ( /finger), I dropped tremor totems everywhere I went.  My tremor bind is crtl shift, and I jump when I run places XD

Arcdelad

hrm...tris, myself and you all have vent...why isnt dps super group using vent during raids? lol would be hilarious i bet

JohnnieRat

We used vent like once or twice back in the group 4 days i think. it was especially funny on those friday night raids when we didn't have work in the morning  :Fosters_Pack:

t-2.5-3 months until the triumphant return of the, what will be, horribly under-geared ret pally... because god help me if I get recycled again.

grunkatze

Quote from: Arcdelad on June 20, 2008, 07:35:38 AM
hrm...tris, myself and you all have vent...why isnt dps super group using vent during raids? lol would be hilarious i bet
u dont wanna hear me =)
and it would prolly be bugging u, each time i write lol i actually laugh in front of my comp....