Casting while tanking = bad

Started by capnpop, May 11, 2008, 09:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

capnpop

Topic says it all.  As a pally tank casting Shield or Hammer of Wrath drops your shield and makes you very vulnerable to crushing blows.  Don't do it on raid bosses please.  The .5 sec cast time doesn't make you vulnerable for long, but if you get hit in there it could REALLY hurt...

Nixphire

Thx, slowly leveling the pallie and have thought about stuff like this. Wouldn't have known it drops your sheild.

JohnnieRat

I didn't think that you could do any sort of avoidance maneuver while casting (dodge, block etc)

capnpop

i'm not sure about the others.  I just know that a block (a substantial portion of a pally's uncrushability) is impossible....

Air

Actually you can do it.  You just have to be extremely careful about how you do it and against the type of mob you do it against.

If the mob is a caster type, when the mob starts casting an ability, its possible to toss a shield in there to.  It's not something you want part of your regular rotation, but can be done if you time it right.

But yeah, when your casting a heal or something, it opens you up to being critted and crushed.
"Don't be a Dick." - Wil Wheaton
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." - Will Rogers

Darkstar

Ya...I learned this the hard way heh

capnpop

Quote from: Airplay on May 11, 2008, 04:05:26 PM
Actually you can do it.  You just have to be extremely careful about how you do it and against the type of mob you do it against.

If the mob is a caster type, when the mob starts casting an ability, its possible to toss a shield in there to.  It's not something you want part of your regular rotation, but can be done if you time it right.

But yeah, when your casting a heal or something, it opens you up to being critted and crushed.

spells can't crush...so as long as the mob is ranged/casting it's fine (hi, i'm here to state the obvious, they call me capn, capn obvious)

i only say this because I've seen a couple HoWs come out from our tanks on some bosses which makes me worry for a sudden burst on the tank resulting in a wipe...

Also i was healing a tank that had issues with threat so he was using shield every cooldown....on prince...phase 2....with 2 healers that had roughly half my healing and half my mana pool...and me......it wasn't a fun fight for me...(any fight that ends with me mashing my rank 4 FoL and being told that I don't have enough mana is bad).