New Priest alt

Started by Arcdelad, September 25, 2006, 01:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcdelad

hey guys....im going to start up a priest alt called "Skarloey"...any hints on a quick  build to get me to 60 so i can respec? should i go shadow until then? any detailed point distribution scheme anyone can help me with? it looks like i should dump the first 5 talent points into life tap...so i can regen my mana quickly....

un4

un4

Emmalina

I think, for leveling, your first 5 points have to go in Spirit Tap like you say. It makes grinding and solo'ing much faster. You'll be wanding a bunch too, so the next 5 in Wand Spec would be useful. I still have the same grinding repertoire now that I did as a lowbie: Holy Fire, Mind Blast, Shadow Word:Pain, Shield, pew pew pew, loot, wash rinse and repeat, so I still haev Wand Spec for that reason alone. I'm guessing if your leveling as fast as possible you won't be healing as many instances, so Holy talents may not be worthwhile. You'll do just fine healing groups for most of the lower levels even if all your points are in Shadow. Like un4 said, go deep into Shadow and everything will go faster. Maybe consider respeccing to a healer oriented build in the early 50's once you're able to start running BRD, DM, ST, LBRS and so on.

Emma

Set progress: D0/D1: 2/8, T1: 4/8, T2: 3/8, T3: 0/9, T4: 4/5, T5: 3/5, T6: 2/8, T7: 1/5, T8:4/5, T9: 3/5, T10: 0/5

Shadowwolf

I would definitely respect to a full time healer build in the 50's if thats what you intend to do. Its possible to heal really well as Shadow spec too, but its really really difficult to do well. Its up to you, but like Emma said, the 50's is best for a respec as it will give you some time to get some practice instances in and get an idea of being a full time healer before you hit 60 when most groups are going to expect you to know what to do. I did the same thing on Shadow when I first respecd to Restoration, did it around lvl 52 and ran some people through places like ZF and Ulda then did some ST to get a feel for being a healer.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Kothnok

... or you can be like me and pick the talents you'll have at 60 as you aquire the points. =)

I'm the odd duck in taking the Holy/Discipline talents I want as I get the points.  I definately have Wand Spec and Holy Nova.  Working my way to having the Spirit Bonus talent.

I find Navar levels fast as it is... I guess Shadow talent tree would go even faster (Emma should know!).
No matter how often you refill the gene pool, there's always a shallow end.

Emmalina

Koth, your way is probably the best way for really learning the class, assuming you'll end up Holy/Disc anyway, (or Disc/Holy  ;). Shadow was just a little for enjoyable for me when I really wanted to get to 60. But I'm no expert just because I have a priest. Koth enjoys his spec, so that's the right one for him. Arc, if you try Shadow and don't enjoy it then by no means are you stuck with that for leveling. Try it out, see what you like!

Emma

Set progress: D0/D1: 2/8, T1: 4/8, T2: 3/8, T3: 0/9, T4: 4/5, T5: 3/5, T6: 2/8, T7: 1/5, T8:4/5, T9: 3/5, T10: 0/5

Arcdelad

AWESOME....thanks for all the good info guys....I want to build up Skarloey as quick as possible since a) I'm ready for an ALT (I have a lot of fun with Arc, but developing a char is fun too), and b) we need priests bad and I want to help fill that gap

Lokassa

This here is a full lvl 60 Hybrid build that I refer to as the LOL Smite build.  Not only will it give you quicker dmg casting speed as shadow, but also allows faster casting for holy dmg spells plus crit %.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/priest/talents.html?05023113300000023505000002000005002305100000000

Its a very very effective and powerful priest build if you don't want to go full shadow.  i'd suggest filling up the shadow section of the tree, then holy, then disc.  Smite is really down played as an effective dmg spell, but just a little +dmg gear and you'll easily be seeing 800-1100 smite crits with your mindblast crits easily being around 1100+.