Sudden Rise in Spam Posts

Started by Shadowwolf, April 25, 2009, 04:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowwolf

Theres been a rise in Spam Bots on the forum the last few days. For some reason, some Spam company over in Asia is now targeting SMF powered forums like ours. Theres no security flaw or anything, its just our turn I guess.

In an effort to try and cut down their success, I increased security on registrations to the forum.

• Captcha Image Complexity Increased (multicolored and warped)
  • Random Questions Added to Registration Form

[attach=1] [attach=2]

The questions are fairly simple, and honestly if people cant answer them, then they really dont need to be part of this forum  ]:D

Also, I changed some of the reporting features of the forum to make it easier to report SPAM and other not so nice posts if you happen to catch them before I or one of the other Officers does. Just use the "Report to Moderator" link on the lower right corner of the post and fill in a reason. It will send us an alert to take a look at it.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

capnpop

This coincides with the increase in spam bots successfully making google accounts...

Nasanna

I got three spam blog comments in the past few days. I deleted both of them but just wanted to warn everyone that they're still out there :(