New Priest Specs

Started by Lyte, December 05, 2006, 06:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyte

Figured I'd start a thread so everyone can post what they chose for their new talent specs.

Here is mine for Lyte:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent-bc=dxghzhxtbzxZfxzM

Emmalina

I'm pretty much Lyte's opposite  ;)

MT healing build, couldn't resist Clearcasting and I put a few things in for some PVP options.

<a href="http://www.wowhead.com/?talent-bc=dVG0zhZfLtcc0qih">Emma's 14/37/0 Disc/Holy/Shadow

Set progress: D0/D1: 2/8, T1: 4/8, T2: 3/8, T3: 0/9, T4: 4/5, T5: 3/5, T6: 2/8, T7: 1/5, T8:4/5, T9: 3/5, T10: 0/5

Darkling

Wow, priests get clearcasting now? Is that a new or old one?

Lyte

Somewhat new.  We get a talent in discipline tree called Inner Focus which is a free spell (uses no mana) and is set to a cooldown of 3 minutes.  We've had that talent for a long time.  But now they added a talent in the holy tree (almost at the end of the tree) called holy concentration that if you put 3 points in gives you a 6% chance at entering a clearcast state after casting a healing spell, making your next healing spell free.

Emmalina

After some minimal raiding with my new spec, I decided that I really don't like the finicky nature of Clearcasting and Surge of Light. Too often these two proc when I'm most of the way through another cast. Cancelling a Smite at the very end of the cast because it just showed me SoL proc'd isn't very efficient. Neither is cancelling a heal to use Greater Heal 5 when Clearcast proc's. I toyed with the idea of going shadow to give our raids those buffs, but it would be some work to regear, and I feel like I'd just end up healing in raids anyway and never really use Shadowform or VT and Misery to its maximum potential. I'm considering going back to my old spec, except I'd take 2 points from Holy and put them into Improved DS. It's bland, not really any new fun stuff, but it works and I am certainly used to the healing style needed to maximize its effectiveness. Lyte is heavy Disc, Tank is heavy Holy (I think?), so I think a balance between the two like this would be useful. Though shadow spec would give us one of each....Thoughts anyone?

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent-bc=dVg0zhLzbZfLt0cbVM

Emma

Set progress: D0/D1: 2/8, T1: 4/8, T2: 3/8, T3: 0/9, T4: 4/5, T5: 3/5, T6: 2/8, T7: 1/5, T8:4/5, T9: 3/5, T10: 0/5

voctovian

Well, I dont know much about playing priests, but I have heard that it is amazing to pair a shadow priest with locks, there is some sort of +damage buff that really enhances the effectiveness of the locks. 

That said, I am concerned that with the changes made to pallies, there will be more pally healers converting to a DPS/tanking role.  Nothing wrong, of course, but the contingent of healers in the guild is already quite small.  Whatever role is most comfortable to you Emma, go for it.  Before the last patch, while shadow priests may not have healed quite as effectively as a holy/disc build, they still made formidable healers.  I imagine there may be some changes, but I dont imagine your healing got nerfed too badly.  Besides, AOE cleansing (if we dont have decursive) will be sooooo very useful.  Give it a try, if you like it.. great.  If you want to go back to holy/disc, go ahead.  Hehe, maybe some people will reroll a dwarf priest.... (except the females are so hideous)..

Voc

Kothnok

I'd say go Shadow just as you've like to in the past Emma.  I think it's worth a shot to have a bunch of different talents around... and AE cleansing sounds like just the ticket.

It seems healing is all wonky at the moment to me (from posts, comments and the raid experience last night).  We seemed to not get hurt doing most of the fights, even the boss ones.  You either lost very little or you were on death's doorstep after a 4k hit.  So go Shadow, lets experiment!
No matter how often you refill the gene pool, there's always a shallow end.

Lyte

I think going shadow and trying something knew would be much more interesting and entertaining for you.  I say go for it.

Emmalina

Specced 0/2/49 last night. I sure kill things quickly, and I can picture some of the buffs/debuffs being useful to a raid, but I get this weird feeling being shadow. I really think I'm just a healer at heart and I need to sleep on things before I go spending money on them  ;)  It's fun, but much like this similar situation last time, I think I'm going to spec back to a healer build. Secretly I think I enjoy it more anyway.

Emma

un4

Hehe.  I love shadow priests :)
un4

Lyte

I can relate to that, Emma.  My priest has -never- had even a point in shadow tree.  Even lvling up, she was all holy. 

Shadowwolf

Only points I put in shadow were the 5 in Spirit Tap. Its nice as it makes the solo play way easier as I seldom have to drink for mana after a fight unless im taking on 3 or 4 things at the same time.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess