Click clack click clack

Started by Arcdelad, April 17, 2008, 01:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcdelad

women's fashion mystifies me...

I will readily admit that I don't know anything about men's fashion either...hell..sometimes I look down and i have a blue sock on one foot and a black one on the other, or I have a black dress shirt on and a brown belt and brown dress shoes on (although I dont understand whats really wrong with that....it was brought to my attention though lol)

having said all that, I have noticed that a lot of women's shoes make a LOT OF NOISE...high heels, or other monstrous foot torture devices that a lot of women bind their feet into, when on the higher end of fashion, make a lot of clicks and clacks, especially on hard surface floors like tile or concrete.

I have a theory....well...I have a lot of theories...but this particular one is that consciously or subconsiously, women wear these noise making high heels in order to attract attention...so much of a woman's value in today's society is unfortuneatly tied to her looks, so dressing in shoes that would arch her legs in an attractive manner and then ALSO make a sound to draw attention to them makes some sense logisitcally....these little clicks of audio annoyance scream out "hey! you! look at me!"

...except....no woman ive ever espoused this theory to will EVER admit that they wear high heels or other sound making shoes to GAIN attention...they don't even consciously seem to notice that these things even make noise lol

maybe i just dont know a damn thing about women, and moreso about their psychology...youd think being married for seven years would open up some magical vault of feminine secrets for me to dig through, like (get this) women LIKE diamonds, even if they say they dont, and "nothing" can always be translated into "something"...

at least theres a chance that heel will snap....

Telfurion

Couple of reasons why girls wear heels (according to girlfriends who have explained this to me honestly)...

1.  They make their feet look smaller and legs look longer
2.  They make their butt look better (bigger = better?)
3.  Wearing heels make you walk a certain way that is apparently more sensual than normal walking

Although it is likely that many girls wear them simply because it is fashionable to wear heels in certain situations, even if they don't know what specifically it does to their physique.  Also...I've heard that high heels were invented by men to prevent women from running away....

grunkatze

Quote from: Arcdelad on April 17, 2008, 01:04:17 PM
...except....no woman ive ever espoused this theory to will EVER admit that they wear high heels or other sound making shoes to GAIN attention...they don't even consciously seem to notice that these things even make noise lol

maybe i just dont know a damn thing about women, and moreso about their psychology...youd think being married for seven years would open up some magical vault of feminine secrets for me to dig through, like (get this) women LIKE diamonds, even if they say they dont, and "nothing" can always be translated into "something"...

at least theres a chance that heel will snap....

Hey arc ! I do wear some of those shoes sometimes, but u know, it's because it looks pretty, give the impression i'm taller and yes, because i like to noise it makes and YES its mostly weared to gain attention.

And i believe all women wear them for thoses reasons :) Who doesn't like having some attention ? just u gotta be selective and not wear 10 inches high ones :P

Shadowwolf

Heels are primarily for shaping the legs, everything else comes secondary.

When you wear heals it forces your legs to look a little more shapely so yes, its intended to be for attention getting. Personally I only wear heels when I have important meetings to go to, and it goes hand in hand with the skirt and the revealing but not trashy, still professional top.

Everyday wear is my Vans or sneakers, summertime is sandals. Outdoor stuff is sometimes my boots.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

fiere redfern

I hate heels, personally. Might have something to do with the fact that I'm already 6' tall, so unless I'm out with a guy who normally towers over me at 6'4" or something similar, I just feel awkward and gangly. My typical wear are my hiking boots (which still jack me up an inch because of the thick soles) or sneakers, though if I'm going out I prefer boots with a bit of a heel. They look better on me, imo, and (especially with my cowboy boots) I can "strut my stuff" as it were without feeling like I'm going to fall over at any moment >.<

Shadowwolf

Same, I dont like heels, most of mine are 2-3", bad enough being 6'1" on flat ground, throwing on a few more inches just makes me more intimidating.

Plus I dont need to hear any more of those lewd cat-calls when im out with friends like "Id like to climb that tree" and whatnot  :P
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

kajunlady

I personally love heels, for so many reasons listed above and the most important thing about them for me is, I am 5 Foot tall  so all the added height i can get i will take..  well on the regular heels  none of the 8' and higher stuff

" The Hardest Job is watching day by day your children grow up and wondering if you really did do all you could for them"
unknown

" I did it because I can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said YOU said I couldn't"
UNKNOWN
"The futue is not something we enter,but something we create"
UNKNOWN

LastDyingBreath

The funny thing is, I don't really notice anything more attractive about a lady in heels. certainly not enough to justify that awkward shoe.

However, I have been known to wear boots, shorts, and a vest all at the same time so I'm pretty much a walking fashion disaster and should shut up now.

for me it's boots or barefoot.

Nasanna

QuoteHowever, I have been known to wear boots, shorts, and a vest all at the same time so I'm pretty much a walking fashion disaster and should shut up now.

It's true. I didn't even know Panzer had other footwear than his steel-toed workboots until they got worn out and he started wearing sneakers...

I'm not so good at walking in heels, so I don't wear them often. It's ridiculously difficult to find dress shoes without huge heels these days... they're either flat old-lady shoes or 6 inch spikes :p You just learn to tune out the clacking eventually though.

I did see these at JC Penny's one time:

JohnnieRat

Few part answer:
1) Women in heels can either be a disaster or a blessing. It all depends on the rest of the ensemble. Even if heels make a woman look better, most guys can see right through that and tell if its the heels or fitness that makes the legs look great.
2) The message that heels send all depends on where they are worn. If its a classy pair at a business meeting type thing, it gives the professional look. If it's 9inch heels at a hole in the wall bar (my favorite kind) it gives the "has she been tested recently" look.

I don't really get to see the professional look often if ever since a) women aren't allowed to do my job and b) the women I see at work are wearing tan boots and wearing camo... not the most flattering of female attire. So, I have come to appreciate women who can pull off the camo look and still look good anyways... which is probably why I go after other female officers (dear god not enlisted... can anyone say court martial. And they're insane anyways, from my time when I was enlisted, female E-4s and below are utterly insane)

Shadowwolf

Hey hey hey...

I was enlisted buddy boy and being attached to Recon I ended up schooling you newbie butter bars around all over being a Gunny. Nothing made me laugh more than a 2nd or 1st LT telling me "based on my experience..."

Not all of the enlisted women are crazy, some of us are normal but yes, the utilities dont exactly flatter our figures. However one of my dear friends was an ex-exotic dancer before she joined the Marines and my god could that girl make utilities look flattering on women. Ive never been jealous of many other women in my life but she was definitely one, the woman could look good in rags, idk how she did it.

JohnnieRat

And god bless her for it. Something about the only being 3 men's sizes (small, medium, large along with short, reg, long)in cammies that just doesn't suit women. Your friend got a lot of people in trouble too i bet. The words attempted fraternizing comes to mind. Women get Joe in so much trouble.
And hey now, I caveated with E-4s and below... once they make real NCO ranks most of them tone down but when a good chunk of council statements my other branch friends have with their Jane's have the phrase "Than the police officer said" or "Thrown out of the ..." or "DUI" in them... but then again, the guys have those and worse issues such as "and then the stripper said", "I thought it was a good idea to ..." etc....
(I also remembered that you were a DI at one point so I figured it'd get a rise outta ya :]

Shadowwolf

Yes I was a DI, heh. I spent some time at OCS as well on DI duty so yes, I know how the fresh out of HS or College mentality can be with some of the girls. =)

Ill give you that, even though the Marines considers E-4 as an NCO rank, people dont usually mature till E5 on up. There are some exceptions, due to the retarded promotion system in my branch at least, it wasnt uncommon to find a 4yr E3 with no NJP or Page11 issues on record, the MOS was just closed for promotion to E4 and up because the crusty old E8's were stretching out enlistment and avoiding retirement.

Luise

I wear high heels for weddings, formal dinners, and really special occasions- i.e. about 5 times per year and it seems to get harder to wear them as I get older. At work teaching teen boys I definitely wear flat shoes, especially as I have to cross grassy (and at times muddy) fields (65 hectares of land in our country school). At lunch time I have to duck and weave between playing fields when I am on duty. :) I think the boys like to see how close they can kick the ball near the teacher without getting in trouble.
At home I'm barefoot or in joggers (you call them sneakers?) or my winter favourite: ugg boots.

JohnnieRat