Druid Glyphs

Started by fiere redfern, October 16, 2008, 06:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fiere redfern

Taking a page out of Nas's book and laying out my thoughts on the new Druid glyphs, both Major and Minor:

Major Glyphs:

Balance:
[item]Glyph of Entangling Roots[/item] - Longer cc-time? Hell yeah. Worth it especially for boomkins, though I'd also use it for PVP.
[item]Glyph of Hurricane[/item] - Adds a slow to the "victims" (heh) of Hurricane. Good for keeping would-be runners within the damage range of the AoE.
[item]Glyph of Insect Swarm[/item] - Increases damage but removes the decreased chance to hit effect. Skip it.
[item]Glyph of Moonfire[/item] - buffs the damage tick, but takes away the initial punch. If you're worried about threat-capping right off the bat (especially in heroics) this might be something to look into, but it can probably be skipped.
[item]Glyph of Starfall[/item] - The Starfall ability is an instant-cast AoE dot similar to the warlock's SoC. Very powerful tool for AoE needs in raids.
[item]Glyph of Starfire[/item] - Increases the length of time the Moonfire dot is active.
[item]Glyph of Wrath[/item] - With the changes to spell-interruption, I don't see much use for this outside of PVP, but use at your discretion.

Feral:
[item]Glyph of Frenzied Regeneration[/item] - Helping out the healers = win - win situation. Use it if you're tanking.
[item]Glyph of Growl[/item] - Posts on wowhead explain that this glyph will make Growl irresistible even against bosses like Brutallus, so it may be worth looking into if you're tanking the later bosses of BT or Sunwell. If not, IMO this glyph can be skipped.
[item]Glyph of Mangle[/item] - Increases the length of time Mangle stays applied, basically perma-buffing your bleed effects, as long as someone is willing to play mangle-bitch and keep it up on the target (*cough* Arc *cough*)  Dead mob is dead. :D
[item]Glyph of Maul[/item] - Maul received a buff with 3.0, allowing it to take advantage of the Mangle bleed debuff and increase the damage it does (and produces a high amount of threat by itself). This, on top of allowing Maul to hit more than one target with the glyph makes for -very- good threat generation. <3
[item]Glyph of Rake[/item] - CoR-type ability added to a bleed. Sounds like a PVP use, though it could have its uses in PVE as well. Undecided about this one.
[item]Glyph of Rip[/item] - Similar to the Mangle glyph in that it increases the debuff length. Basically gives the druid a few more seconds before needing to restart the bleed rotation.
[item]Glyph of Shred[/item] - I'd only consider this glyph for PVP or soloing, since during raids I'll open with Ravage, and most mobs are immune to stuns anyway.

Restoration:
[item]Glyph of Healing Touch[/item] - Basically turns HT into another Regrowth, without the hot at the end. Skip it.
[item]Glyph of Innervate[/item] - This is a very nice bonus for restos. If you innervate someone else, you also receive an extra 100% bonus to your spirit-based mana regen on top of the normal 100% (or 130% if you have the +spirit talent). Innervating yourself results in a +600% spirit-based mana regen bonus (100% normal + 400% innervate + 100% glyph).
[item]Glyph of Lifebloom[/item] - Extra second to lifebloom = more time to refresh stacks and keep the raid alive. 'Nuf said.
[item]Glyph of Rebirth[/item] - Strictly a healer-helper glyph, if tank-death occurs, two seconds and this glyph and they can be back on their feet and immediately pick up the mob. Granted, that may not do anything to prevent a wipe, so use at your own discretion.
[item]Glyph of Regrowth[/item] - This one seems like it could be helpful if you end up having to spam regrowth on a tank to get them back up to full - fewer instances of Regrowth needed = less mana used.
[item]Glyph of Rejuvenation[/item] - According to wowhead, this glyph only increases healing on Rejuv and cuts off immediately after the target hits 50% health. It also bugged on PTR as a self-only effect, though the glyph makes no mention of it. Skip it, unless the glyph gets seriously revamped.
[item]Glyph of Swiftmend[/item] - Swiftmend provides an instant heal, and in doing so heals for a certain amount depending on the hot effect consumed. Not removing that extra hot makes this a very powerful glyph.

Minor Glyphs:
[item]Glyph of Aquatic Form[/item] - 50% swim speed increase on top of the bonus we get already. Go go gadget epic swim form?
[item]Glyph of Challenging Roar[/item] - Every 2.30 minutes instead of every 3. Were this pre-3.0, I'd say go for it, but with the changes to tanking I just don't know if it'd be useful yet.
[item]Glyph of Dash[/item] - From 3 minutes to 2.24 minutes. Useful in PVP.
[item]Glyph of the Wild[/item] - Pointless. One, 90% of the time there is enough time in-between the buffing and the pull to regenerate the mana used anyway. Two, if it is a resto druid buffing, the mana cost of MotW won't even make a dent in their pool. :P
[item]Glyph of Thorns[/item] - Great for tanking druids; lord knows I always forget to reapply thorns after it disappears.
[item]Glyph of Unburdened Rebirth[/item] - Free rebirth! Extra bag slot.

Fab

Small Note:

Glyph of moonfire + glyph of starfire (adds 3 seconds to moonfire length) = best moonkin  glyph-combo atm.

Moonfire, after initial cast, ticks for 75% more damage, and with a Starfire glyph and spell cast = near infinite moonfire ticks. With the glyph, mine ticks for ~700, versus the 450 it used to.

Alors, this is the way to go-- Been reading up on all our glyphs for months, as well as following the math with all those crazy theorycrafters, and this is the way to go  :D

Kothnok

Quote[wowitem]Glyph of Starfall[/wowitem] - The Starfall ability is an instant-cast AoE dot similar to the warlock's SoC. Very powerful tool for AoE needs in raids.

Since the AoE for Starfall is centered on the caster, you have to be in the middle of the action for this to be effective.  I'm not convinced of this being a very powerful tool yet as the closer to the action a moonkin is, the more likely you will draw aggro (and possibly death). 
No matter how often you refill the gene pool, there's always a shallow end.

fiere redfern

For Starfall, I was thinking in instances like the Solarian fight or the waves in MH where there's an extreme concentration of mobs being AoE'd. Having never played a boomkin, though, I could be wrong XD

Kothnok

For a couple of fights, sure, but the majority of times it's the ranged AoE that's needed.  Hurricane has had a vast improvement to it's damage and the 10min CD was removed.  That alone makes it worthwhile as AoE of choice.  I've personally gone with the Root glyph and the BattleRez glyph.
No matter how often you refill the gene pool, there's always a shallow end.

Fab

Ok a couple things:

Starfall- 3 minute cooldown, doesn't matter necessarily where you are. It's a multi-target spell, launching 20 stars max per cast. There is also a 'splash' damage effect. Intended more for pvp/arena givin its CD. But yes, it can help in aoe; its best used in this rotation;

Wrath (initiates +13% spell dmg earth and moon debuff on target)--> pop trinket (+xx spell power for 20 secs)--> Starfall (not channelled)--> Hurricane = omg 5000 dps on hyjal trash, no joke lol  :pumpk6:

Really though.. Hurricane is our AOE.. starfall is just pretty and situational, same with Typhoon (excluding the pretty part)  :-\

My 2 cents

Arcdelad

the power of the glyph of rip should definitely not be underestimated...this could be the best feral druid dps glyph out there IMO...4 extra seconds of rip at 700 a second - an extra 2800 damage, PLUS it lets you modify your attack rotation to allow for a ferocious bite (or later the AP adder finishing move) WHILE rip is still active...its a must IMO