epic patterns

Started by Tolwen, July 17, 2007, 02:15:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tolwen

hey guys, as you know there is a lot of nice epic patterns for tailors, leatherworkers and blacksmiths on the ah so if somebody in guild has the pattern he or she can make the item for anyone that wants it.
It's not fair for that person to pay all that money and buy the pattern cuz any of us may want a pair of that item one day, I've come up witht this idea that if each of us puts some money in we can buy all the patterns on ah. it doesnt matter how much each person puts in, it can be from 10g till 100g.
If you guys like this idea, then so can an officer volunteer to take the money ( so that everything would be in order )

Luise

Sounds like a great idea Tol.
I'm a 367 Swordsmith- have no money at present- spending it all on lvlling my smithing.
But am happy to donate in future- or make something for anyone that needs a swordsmith.

Nixphire

I completely understand where you're coming from on this issue. However to be completely fair, when ever the master crafter would sell his services to someone else, would everyone that helped get the pattern get a small stake of the profits?

Arcdelad

I think its a PHENOMONAL (and remarkably generous) idea in theory, but a rather complicated one...

Here are what I think the benefits are:

- Our guild now has cheap access to some great items. A recent example of this is the [wowitem]Cobrascale Hood[/wowitem] pattern that Shadow got. She sent this to me, and I have been able to make TB, Lynette, Un4, Tolwen, and Tolwen's friend from Salvation all these hoods. The result of shadow's generous gift thus was a mass headpiece upgrade for all of our Rogue / Druids.

- It saves the crafter a lot of money or drooling over patterns if you gift them one of these. I know that I spent about 2k gold getting from level 350 leatherworker to level 375...and I know shadow spent a similar amount to level up her jewelcutting. These crafters have invested time and money into their craft, so helping them with a free pattern is a very good thing for these money strapped folk.

The challenges

- Which leatherworker / blacksmith / jewelcutter do you send that pattern to? Overall it doesnt matter - if its in the guild its in the guild, but some people may be a wiser choice. If a pattern requires primal nethers, for example, giving it to someone who doesn't run heroic instances will be kind of pointless. Also, unless we have a designated "guild crafter" for that trade, it should be spread to mutiple people so favoritism doesnt occur.

- Patterns should go to someone who comes on regularly. Nothing sucks more than sending mats to a person who won't be on again for another 1-2 weeks. I know when I look forward to crafting an item I want instant gratification.

- Someone looking to buy their epic flyer or something else might just need the cash this pattern can generate. Some of these patterns sell for 1.5k gold or such, and certainly noone can fault a person for wanting to get cash off of a hard earned drop.

- If you are buying the pattern, again, its going to cost 500G to 2,000G. What kind of funding mechanism would you suggest?

- You guys need to look at whether or not the crafted item will be BOP or BOE. Tolwen and I learned this the hardway yesterday - he was VERY generous and bought a pattern for some boots for me...he sent me the pattern, I learned it, tolwen grinded ALL the mats, I had the nethers ready, then shadow acutely pointed out that the item was BOP, meaning only the crafter could use it, since the minute it gets crafted it becomes soulbound to the owner.

I think this is a great idea guys...we need to figure out some of these challenges though.

Tolwen

I defently agree that these patterns should be sent to people that run heroics a lot ( the ones that need primal nether and i think most of them do ).
this is one way about how i tought we could choose who to give the patterns to:
so like lets say there is Arc and Tyban that are leatherworkes that run a lot of heroics ( really sorry if I'm droping any names, this is just an example ) I think this woud be fair that Arc gets the leather ones and Ty gets the mail ones or like if a pally and a warrior are both blaksmiths that run heroics, the pally can get the pally paterns and the warrior can get the warrior patterns....                                                       

Quote from: Nixphire on July 17, 2007, 07:01:32 AM
However to be completely fair, when ever the master crafter would sell his services to someone else, would everyone that helped get the pattern get a small stake of the profits?
I don't think that's nessery at all.

Tolwen

bump!

Quote from: Tolwen on July 17, 2007, 12:18:06 PM

However to be completely fair, when ever the master crafter would sell his services to someone else, would everyone that helped get the pattern get a small stake of the profits?

I think i didn't really answer that question well, one of the reasons that the profit isn't nessery at all is that the crafter is going out of his way to get primal nethers for us and they won't prolly sell a lot of those epic things ( pretty hard to get all the mats ]:D jk ) but anyways thats what i think

Nixphire

Quote from: Tolwen on July 20, 2007, 04:01:26 PM
bump!

Quote from: Tolwen on July 17, 2007, 12:18:06 PM

I think i didn't really answer that question well, one of the reasons that the profit isn't nessery at all is that the crafter is going out of his way to get primal nethers for us and they won't prolly sell a lot of those epic things ( pretty hard to get all the mats ]:D jk ) but anyways thats what i think

The only reason I brough it up is that I know at least in the old world that crafting some epic paterns used to cash in a few hundred, I don't know what the current market is, on my old server or new, but if they sold 5 of these for 500 each, that's a penny, and thus is the reason I asked. :)

Shadowwolf

These days patterns like that run for the going rate of [wowitem]Primal Nether[/wowitem] cost which I think is around 160-180g plus time and service which generally runs 20-40g unless the person is being completely greedy. Considering that the crafter has to run and then win a Nether to use for the item in order to sell it, its all pure chance and luck plus effort of clearing a Heroic instance unless they get lucky with a drop in a normal instance so it balances out. I think the days of charging 500g for crafting alone have gone to the wayside unless you end up dealing with a completely greedy person.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess