Flasks in 3.1

Started by Nasanna, March 25, 2009, 05:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nasanna

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=15864859958&sid=1

[blizzard]As many of you have learned, we will be reducing the duration of flask effects so that they only last one hour. However, all recipes that create flasks will create two instead of one for the same material cost. Additionally, we will be increasing stack size from 5 to 20 as we anticipate players will need to carry more flasks at a given time. Vendor value for flasks has also been reduced to keep the auction house deposit low.

Our goal with the change was to allow players greater flexibility when determining how long they plan to raid, as currently we were seeing many players balance time spent raiding around flask duration. We also anticipate that this change will make using flasks in dungeons and battlegrounds a more reasonable decision for players. Though this change will not occur until patch 3.1.0, we wanted to give as much advance notice as possible in case some of you who are stockpiling flasks would prefer to wait to do so until the change is implemented.

We realize players who currently have stockpiled a lot of flasks may feel like they will lose money with this change, since their current flasks will only last for half as long once 3.1.0 goes live. To partially remedy this, we are going to allow players to exchange any current Northrend flasks (Flask of the Frost Wyrm, Flask of Stoneblood, Flask of Endless Rage and Flask of Pure Mojo) for two flasks with the shorter duration. Flasks from older content will not be grandfathered in, and going forward, it will only be possible to make the flasks with a one hour duration. [/blizzard]

This is actually a good change IMO since you can drink one flask and it will last for an hour. If you'll only need that flask for a short period of time because the raid ends or something, you haven't wasted half your flask while sitting around Dalaran.

Arcdelad

so long as tolwen or fleecy are in the raid, it doesnt matter if flasks last 1 hour or 200 hours hehehehe....(thank you guys btw :)

Rocknlock

I'm sure its great for people who can make flasks, but for those of us that have to buy them is bs. People will see it as they can get more money for same amount of mats, seeing as they can sell 2 per now. Also, [blizzard]We also anticipate that this change will make using flasks in dungeons and battlegrounds a more reasonable decision for players.[/blizzard] who the hell would bother using flasks reguardless of their duration, that I'm assuming are somewhat a pain to get mats for, on dungeons and bgs? This just seems annoying to me.

Grendeel

Im guessing since the amount of available flasks on the ah will be doubled, that the prices will come down considerably.

Arcdelad

hrm...let the economic experiment begin!

Supply is doubled, but in reality it stays the same due to decreased duration...so now whereas you would use one flask for a 2 hour raid and two flasks for a 4 hour raid, you now need two and four flasks respectively.

Demand will most likely DECREASE. A person who raids for 3 hours will now buy the old equivalent of 1.5 flasks instead of the 2 he might of bought before.

For theoretical purposes, assume the baseline price of the new 1 hour flask is exactly half of what the old 2 hour flasks would cost.

When supply remains constant (using the new 2:1 ratio), but demand lowers, the supply line stays constant, but the demand line travels left, lowering its price spot on the "y" axis (price)...

SO...this means alchemists will have excess inventory (assuming they turn in their 2 hour flasks for 1 hour ones) and will lower their prices to meet the lower demand as there will also be an excess on the AH.

Prices, if economic rules work out, should drop, making it more affordable for the raider, but less profitable for the alchemist - who MAY then cut supply, which will stablizie prices somewhere lower than 1/2 of a flask now (the time spent making flasks will dwindle as it becomes less profitable).

Or....do this macro:

/tell Demetria Can I get a flask of [choose your type here] please?
/tar Demetria
/trade

Click accept when the pretty boxes turn green.

Fleecy

Quote/tell Demetria Can I get a flask of [choose your type here] please?
/tar Demetria
/trade

Click accept when the pretty boxes turn green.

lmao

Rocknlock

We will see I guess. I just doubt people will be selling flasks for 25g per or lower. This is wow economics we're talking about. So I'm assuming the normal greediness of people to try to get as much as they can or some to undercut each other until they sell theirs and everyone else takes their flasks off the AH.

Riddlerr

[blizzard]To answer some questions brought up in this thread:

Mixology will work like it does now, if you know the recipe to create the flask, the flask will grant double the duration, so 2 hours in the new case.
Elixir Mastery is also being updated to work with the new flask design so for example where you got 2 or 3 extras before you will now get 4 or 6 extras.

[...]The new changes apply to all flasks. The only change specific to Northrend flasks is the conversion to mixtures for already-crafted flasks prior to 3.1. All other flasks will have their durations lowered to 1 hour when the patch is released. The material costs for all flasks will be cut in half as will the vendor sell prices.
[/blizzard]