Patch thursday april 23

Started by Raif, April 23, 2009, 05:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raif

Another Update, OK fine. Ill set it up and go cook dinner, and play when i get back.

The file "\base\signaturefile" could not be opened. If this problem persists, you may be able to solve it by installing and then reinstalling the game. If you are unable to correct this problem, please contact Blizzard Technical Support. (InstallerFile::Open)
To check this installation for problems, click the "Repair" button. The Repair tool can automatically fix many update errors.

UNINSTALLING and reinstalling? Are they crazy? Do they not know how many disks that is? Grrrrrr

Am i the only one?     

See you ...Soon?

fiere redfern

QuoteTo check this installation for problems, click the "Repair" button. The Repair tool can automatically fix many update errors.

Run that before you do anything wild and crazy like uninstalling and reinstalling the game. It really can pinpoint most update errors and fix them without you having to go through the whole rigmarole.

Raif

Ive always hated running that thing, more than once it wiped my whole UI and i had to dig through Screenshots to try to piece it back together. SO i ran it as a check, it said all problems repaired, same error

So I'm running it again, with check and reset everything, if i was the praying sort of guy, I would pray for my UI

fiere redfern

Other thing you can do is take your Cache and AddOns folders out of the main World of Warcraft folder before you run the repair util. That way it won't wipe out all your addons and settings for them =)

Raif

Sheesh

Still nothing, I ran the repair.

It now makes a copy of your old UI and chache before it does anything, which is a bonus.

Im running out of ideas, i emailed bliz, but who wants to wait for normal business hours to play wow again?

ellaellaye

I think chocolate chip cookies have been known to help.

Raif

So after a little research  found

4. You may receive a message saying

Q u o t e:
    "The file "\base\signaturefile" could not be opened. If this problem persists, you may be able to solve it by uninstalling and then reinstalling the game. If you are unable to correct this problem, please contact Blizzard Technical Support. (InstallerFile::Open)
    To check this installation for problems, click the "Repair" button. The Repair tool can automatically fix many update errors.""

This error happens when a System Restore or a backup program restored some old files on the game and it gets confused. Please delete the World of Warcraft folder and reinstall the game. You can also try reverting the game if you want but future patches may run into errors. To revert the game, go to your World of Warcraft\Data\ folder and delete the patch.MPQ file. If you have a patch-2.MPQ file, delete that as well. Go back to the World of Warcraft folder and run the repair utility.

So for thoseof you who need to do a system restore becayse of a certain WGA update slipping past you....

Watch yourself

SO i deleted both files and ran the repair utility as said, it told me that wow had been SERIOUSLY damaged and needs to revert, and may need to re patch afterwords...yay  With me luck

GO GO wii guitar hero to entertain myself until then (eventhough i lost my glasses and cant play on hard :( )

Shadowwolf

Since Windows XP, I have never, ever and likely will never use System Restore for this very reason. Its loads of garbage and excess strain on the computer drives and memory and Ive never, since it was included with XP in 2001, seen it actually provide a worthwhile use. Every time someone I know of has tried to use it to restore the computer after a crash or some other calamity, its failed and made the situation worse. Plus...if you ever get a virus, whooohoo, have fun with that. heh.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Raif

Yes but if you somehow miss the updater download things from windows you dont necessarily want on your computer, say? the windows genuine advantage tool... it works wonders :)

Nixphire

Quote from: Shadowwolf on April 23, 2009, 08:50:24 PM
Plus...if you ever get a virus, whooohoo, have fun with that. heh.

QFT!

Raif

Yes, but what does quantum field theory have to do with it?