aUF_RangeCheck Fixed

Started by Shadowwolf, May 22, 2008, 04:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowwolf

Some of you may have noticed a problem with aUF_RangeCheck if you use ag_UnitFrames where sometimes it worked in fading out people out of range and sometimes it didnt. I posted an update to it which I verified works like it should here:

http://www.twilightonalex.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&Itemid=5&gid=93

Make sure before you run WoW again, you delete the old aUF_RangeCheck folder as these 2 versions will conflict with each other if you leave the old one in place.

If you want to change the amount the bars fade on this version, you will need to do so manually outside the game by editing the configuration file.

Open the file
<Program Files>\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\aUF_RangeCheck_M\aUF_RangeCheck.lua
In Notepad or some other text editor.

and look for the line of code at line 61 that says:
        frame.frame:SetAlpha(0.6);

Change the value in parenthesis to between 0.1 and 1.0, the higher the number the less fade that takes place so 0.1 is virtually invisible and 1.0 is no fade at all.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Shadowwolf

I fixed the Range to be more accurate now and it will take into account any talents or gear bonuses that might affect range as well.

First, you need to re-download the modified version here: http://www.twilightonalex.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&Itemid=5&gid=93

Once installed, Run WoW and log in to your character(s) that you want to use this addon with.

Completely close out of WoW, then navigate to the following file and open it in Notepad or some other text editor:

<Program Files>\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\<ACCOUNT_USERNAME>\Alexstrasza\<CHARACTER_NAME>\SavedVariables\aUF_RangeCheck_M.lua

<ACCOUNT_USERNAME> = The username you use to log in.

<CHARACTER_NAME> = The name of the character you need to customize this for. You have to edit this file for each of your characters that you want this to work for.

In that file you should see 2 lines of text as follows:

aUFR_aid = 2
aUFR_aid2 = nil

You want to change both lines to read something like this:

aUFR_aid = "Healing Touch"
aUFR_aid2 = "Moonfire"

The first line should be a beneficial spell you cast on friendly units, the second line should be an offensive spell you cast on hostile units. Make sure you spell the name of the spell correctly and put it in quotation marks. Once you make this change, save the file and log back on to your characters. Make sure you specify a spell name that is used by the character you are editing.

If you leave these 2 options default, the fading system will still work but it will default to 30 yards instead of being completely accurate.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Kothnok

No matter how often you refill the gene pool, there's always a shallow end.

Shadowwolf

I forgot to mention if you adjusted the fade alpha (amount) at all you will need to make that change again.

Kothnok

I've spent the weekend tracking down bugs in this addon as well as upgrading it's code, it's speed, it's memory use, and even added a WoW Options page for it (along with tooltips explaining what each option does) so that it's much easier to use and modify to your liking. 

Since I changed just about everything in this addon, I've decided to rename it slightly so that it doesn't conflict with the ones stored on the Ace server (and therefore won't get overwritten if you use WoW Ace Updater).  Please disable the aUF_RangeCheck_M addon if you plan to use this one. Let me know if there's anything I can do to improve upon it.

Installation instructions are no different from any other addon.  Download the zip file and then unzip its contents into your <Program Files>\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns folder.

Shadowwolf

I posted the latest version Koth updated here:

http://www.twilightonalex.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&Itemid=5&gid=93

Just make sure you delete all the older aUF_RangeCheck* folders before running wow.

You can make adjustments to the settings easier now using the Interface Options area so you dont need to go rooting around and editing text files =)

Kothnok

I've modified this addon again.  If you use this addon, you may have noticed that it may take a second or two for someone that just got into range of your spell to actually update and become non-faded. The way this addon operates is that for every Update cycle (dozens of milliseconds between cycles), it only updates one frame out of the 30ish possible you have on the screen.  The next update cycle will take care of another frame and so on until all frames are updated and then a new list is made.  While this operation is good for 5man parties and also means raids won't force your framerate to drop due to excessive work being done, this means on a 25 man raid, your target, focus, target of target, pet, etc. will only get updated once every 30 cycles (roughly).  I changed it so that it will always update your Target, Pet, and Focus frames in addition to the normal operation so that at least those unit frames are done every Update cycle.  This means that the addon is updating 4 possible unit frames instead of just 1, but I think it had no impact on performance (ie. my framerate was still high).  I tested it out tonight during the Mag/Gruul run and found no problems and I could always trust my Target frame to be accurate with no delay.