Video settings and dual core

Started by Arcdelad, November 13, 2007, 05:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcdelad

I downloaded and installed the patch just now...and one thing I got that I didnt expect was that it reset all my video settings when I started up the game (just to the login screen...obviously server is still down).

Scrolling through the notes it mentiones upgraded graphical performance for dual core processors (which i have)...not sure how this is going to play out, or if im going to have to resize my ui again and such, but if you are using a dual core processesor make sure you plan on messing with your graphics settings today.

Threlin

Will do, Arc! Thanks for the heads up.

Are the improvements noticeable (even though I don't expect a huge improvement until I upgrade my vid card after the first of the year ;))?

Arcdelad

no idea man...I downloaded the last 5 meg (281 meg total)...then had to manually click on the installer...it updated, and i got the authentication screen...no different on that screen, but id imagine the graphics changes will be in game...I hope there are some nice visula perks when we log on today :)

Threlin

Quote from: Arcdelad on November 13, 2007, 05:00:31 AM
(just to the login screen...obviously server is still down).

DUH! Sorry Arc, that's what I get for speed reading at work when I ought to be working on map!  ;D

usonian

oooh they're finally taking advantage of my dual-core? :hallo8:

Has anyone read exactly what upgrades they've made to the graphics?  I'm guessing it won't be anything really noticeable, probably just a better use of processing power from dual-core systems.  I don't think it should affect your in-game graphics settings if it's a processor upgrade but who knows.

usonian

[blizzard]The latest patch of World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade shows a
   benefit on today's popular multicore processors like the Intel(r)
   Core(tm)2 Duo processor family.  The enhanced patch has demonstrated
   higher frame rates by spreading the work across both processor cores.
[/blizzard]

Ahhh that's what I thought, they're just making better use of the dual-core setup to improve framerate.  This shouldn't affect graphic settings.

Arcdelad

thats still great...

when i logged in, though, it did flash a big red message indicating my graphics settings have been reset...so i expect my ui size to be enormous and such....

Buzan

Increasing performance over graphics is just fine, I'm glad they finally did something about dual core.

One of the rare times I will say gj Blizz and mean it lol.

capnpop

Quote from: Buzan on November 13, 2007, 08:26:33 AM
Increasing performance over graphics is just fine, I'm glad they finally did something about dual core.

yep, GJ on +2 hrs to maintenance...

herothirtythree

Quote from: capnpop on November 13, 2007, 11:35:18 AM
Quote from: Buzan on November 13, 2007, 08:26:33 AM

yep, GJ on +2 hrs to maintenance...

grrr.

Muridin

Quote from: Usonian on November 13, 2007, 08:05:16 AM
[blizzard]The latest patch of World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade shows a
   benefit on today's popular multicore processors like the Intel(r)
   Core(tm)2 Duo processor family.  The enhanced patch has demonstrated
   higher frame rates by spreading the work across both processor cores.
[/blizzard]

why do they hate AMD's? me angry...grrrr at blizzard