Hilarious? True?

Started by Arcdelad, April 21, 2008, 10:55:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nixphire

The Scottsdale Times has a scare article as well. Tho she does have some even arguments, as far as "this doesn't happen to everyone," but she is pretty graphic with the extream cases.
She is also an outsider with video games. She miss spells Metriods. Come on, that game is legendary, how can you not know how to spell it?
http://www.timespublications.com/apr08-feature1.asp

I think it's time for prohibition again, do you see all these drunks that litter these here streets?

LastDyingBreath

I dislike this kind of article.  It's the kind of article that people who don't play video games read and then do the chicken little dance.

Yeah, I spend a lot of time playing warcraft.  It's a large part of my life but does not destroy the rest of it.  I work 11 hours every day (12 when you count getting there and back, plus half hour unpaid lunch), and when I get home I'm exhausted.  I'm not going to leap up and play football or go horse riding or build a fence or whatever the authors of that article would have me do.  I have three or four hours to myself, and I choose to spend them playing this game.

Yeah, one day the game will be brought offline and everything I've accomplished in it will be for naught, but life is about the journey, not the destination.  My time playing wow will be one I can look back on and think of all the fun times I had.  No matter what I do instead of wow, one day I'm going to die.  Then everything I've worked so hard for through my life will be for nothing.  Eventually the universe will die the entropic heat-death and every living organism that has ever existed or will ever exist will be for nothing.  Time spent having fun is not time wasted.

un4

Just reeks of bad reporting to me.  I have zero respect for a desk jockey who can't make even yellow journalism work.
un4

Arcdelad

i think its actually in a mocking tone....read some of the details and it kind of comes into focus this guy isnt really serious...

fiere redfern

I had a good chuckle =P

Seriously, how can this article be serious with quotes like this?

QuoteFormer Addict #1 - let's call him Billy-Tim Shimshaw (it's catchier) played that intensively for over two years, forsaking all the usual teen pursuits â€" playing hoop stick, going to the talkies and binge drinking.

It just feels more of a [sarcasm][/sarcasm] article meant to poke fun at "hardcore" players and be taken with a grain of salt. Though within that grain lies a grain of truth, which was why my chuckle was a self-depreciating one.  :P

EDIT: Having read the second article, I have one thing to say. How the hell do you have a lvl 60 BE pally at 50 days /played?

QuoteBut in the fantasy realm of World of Warcraft, he fights sorcerers and demons as a level-60, blood elf paladin. <snip> Anderson plays World of Warcraft for about two hours each night and has spent the equivalent of approximately 1,200 hours, or the equivalent of 50 days, developing one particular character over the course of the year-and-a-half he’s been playing.

Either he's leveling as holy or the author needs to get her head on straight - I've had Fiere for almost three years, and she's only 53 days /played >.<

Luise

Quote from: fiere redfern on April 21, 2008, 07:11:34 PM
I had a good chuckle =P

Seriously, how can this article be serious with quotes like this?

QuoteFormer Addict #1 - let's call him Billy-Tim Shimshaw (it's catchier) played that intensively for over two years, forsaking all the usual teen pursuits – playing hoop stick, going to the talkies and binge drinking.

It just feels more of a [sarcasm][/sarcasm] article meant to poke fun at "hardcore" players and be taken with a grain of salt. Though within that grain lies a grain of truth, which was why my chuckle was a self-depreciating one.  :P

EDIT: Having read the second article, I have one thing to say. How the hell do you have a lvl 60 BE pally at 50 days /played?

Either he's leveling as holy or the author needs to get her head on straight - I've had Fiere for almost three years, and she's only 53 days /played >.<

Maybe he sits around IF   (/ dance).
I remember a guy named Worldwidekid that I used to always see in Moonkin form dancing on the letterbox outside the bank in IF. I wondered if he ever logged off.

I agree with you Fiere. That article made me laugh in a few parts- I don't think it's meant to be taken seriously.
I laughed at the part where it says the former addict is now a workaholic - bank manager.
On a more serious side, there was a big fuss made about wow in Australia about a year ago- some teenager was on a Current Affair (news show) who had quit school and played wow 16 hours a day. He was a bit scary.

I used to play spider solitaire to unwind each night after a long day, now I play wow and chat to friendly interesting people and let out my stress on a few computer generated beasties (better than yelling at the kids:) ).