New MGMT video

Started by Sethrow, September 19, 2009, 12:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sethrow

Sethrow

Oh ya found my new fav. acoustic guitar player as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VAkOhXIsI0
John Butler Trio every song i hear is just amazing and gives me chills/if you like this style make sure to check out Andy mckee as well

un4

Waaaay too much tension in that guy's right hand.  Sounds great, but I hope he can avoid injuries.
un4

Oilslick

Go see Patty Larkin in a small intimate show sometime...then ask her if you can play her Olson for a minute after the show...and your new favorite acoustic guitarist will be you.  (Warning:  this may lead to willingly handing over your first born in trade for an Olson)

un4

James Taylor plays an Olson, right?
un4

Oilslick

Yeah, James has a few of them.  They're better playing than patty's from what she told me 11 years ago (hard to believe it's been that long).  She had Olson replace the top on hers to make it louder for stage performance.  Jame's playing doesn't really show off the instrument though...he's minimalist in his playing when he plays the role of bandleader.

In my experience, there are instruments you have to work to play, instruments that allow you to play without working so hard, and instruments that make playing so effortless that they don't just let you play what you never thought you could, but connect the bridge between head and hands so well that they inspire what you hear in your head and push your boundaries.  James Olson's guitars fit the bill.

Phil Keaggy's solo instrumental improv works probably show them off the best, but those recordings are tough to find b/c he loves looping and studio editing too much.

vakiller

thanks for sharing i am a big fan of this style music. haha sometimes i get on limewire and type in acoustic cover just to see what people do with songs. Deffinatley gonna share this with some friends  :)

The John Butler Trio that is : )