FYI - scam alert

Started by Jandris, September 19, 2008, 03:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jandris

Got this e-mail - as you can see there are a number of things that mark it as a scam but on first reading it I almost had heart failure  :D

Blizzard Account Administration - Account
Wednesday, September 17, 2008 8:18 AM

Greetings!

It has come to our attention that you are trying to sell/trade your personal World of Warcraft account(s).
As you may or may not be aware of, this conflicts with the EULA and Terms of Agreement.
If this proves to be true, your account can and will be disabled. It will be ongoing for further investigation by Blizzard Entertainment's employees.

If you wish to not get your account suspended you should immediately verify your account ownership. If the information is deemed accurate, the investigation will be dropped.
This action is taken because we at Blizzard Entertainment take these sales
quite seriously. We need to confirm you are the original owner of the account.
This is easiest done by confirming your personal information along with concealed information about your account.
You can confirm that you are the original owner of the account by replying to this email with:

Use the following template below to verify your account and information via email.

* First and Surname
* Address
* Zip code
* Phone number
* Country
* Account e-mail
* Account name
* Account password
* Secret Question and Answer

If you ignore this mail your account can and will be closed permanently. Once we verify your account, we will reply to your e-mail informing you that we have dropped the investigation.
We ask you to NOT change password until the investigation is fully completed.

Blizzard Entertainment Inc
Account Administration Team
P.O. Box 18979, Irvine, CA 92623

Regards,

Account Administration Team
Blizzard Entertainment

kaylasb

Thanks for the advice, but I think the scam is very bad, a little more work around that text and probably, they could fool some people  :P

Gutboy

Quote from: Jandris on September 19, 2008, 03:09:41 PM
Got this e-mail - as you can see there are a number of things that mark it as a scam but on first reading it I almost had heart failure  :D

Blizzard Account Administration - Account
Wednesday, September 17, 2008 8:18 AM

Yeah, obviously Blizz sends these things out by GMail....  ::)

(I know some people get fooled by things like this, but surely no one in THIS guild!)

GB

"Impossible odds, mentally unbalanced foes, cramped quarters for a good punch-up... and people say Iest has no night life."
-- Cerebus

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but by God, they frighten me."
-- The Duke of Wellington

JohnnieRat

Here's the big hint: Blizzard will NEVER NEVER NEVER ask you for your account name, password, or secret question/answer. Never, not by email, not in game even with a <GM> tag. If anyone ever asks you in game for that, report them and they get banned quick. Blizz has other ways of verifying that you are in fact the owner of the account. I think they can trace your IP address and see if you're logging on from say Maine one minute and then 10 minutes later from Texas or something along those lines.
Lol@ wowaccuntadmin@gmail address.
I am impressed that they have your email address. Not sure how they got that.

Hugh

Is it possible that hackers could come to other guild sites and get emails off the guild sites? Sad thing is i dont check my email lol so GL hackers! ;)

kajunlady

Just got one along those lines today. They would have had me fooled if i didnt already know blizz wont ask for passwords and such.. So jan you are not alone. sadly I am still wondering how they got my email?!?... oh guess i will never know lol

" The Hardest Job is watching day by day your children grow up and wondering if you really did do all you could for them"
unknown

" I did it because I can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said YOU said I couldn't"
UNKNOWN
"The futue is not something we enter,but something we create"
UNKNOWN

Avelandra

Blizzard will never ask for your user name/pwd because they came become you without. They are the ADMINs... I can't beleive people fall for this,.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" - Possum Lodge Motto
I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together.

JohnnieRat

Quotethey came become you without.
WTB Translation

fiere redfern

blizz GMs can log onto your characters without needing your account name/password to do so, because that information is already in their system. Ave just fails at typing and proofreading =P

Avelandra

Fi translates between Ave speak and English. YAY!
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" - Possum Lodge Motto
I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together.

Jandris

The sad thing is that some people must fall for it or it wouldn't be used.
I posted this here mostly for members who have kids that play - just in case.
This message should up in my alt e-mail address - not the one I use for the game.

Liege

wow, The sad thing is, they probably have gotten ppl with it already, To people that have never seen the "Blizz will NEVER NEVER NEVER ask for your pw and/or acct name" tip, they might not know about that...someone should post it on the WoW Forums...just for a heads up. 

Tanc