Patch Downloaded Already?

Started by Emmalina, October 14, 2008, 10:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emmalina

A couple of weeks ago I remember the Background Downloader firing up and putting some pretty hefty files in my WoW folders. Apparently those were the patches? I started WoW just now, the updater started and immediately saw the 1.2 GB 3.0.1 patch in my folder and only had to download about a MB of extra stuff. Then it saw the 380 MB 3.0.2 patch in the folder, and downloaded about 10 extra MB, and was done.

Now I have the WotLK log in screen with Sapphiron flying around and stuff, everything appears to be done. Did I get lucky to have the patches downloaded already? Is everyone downloading them now? Or am I at the same point as everyone else and still have stuff to download?

Just want to keep up to date.

Set progress: D0/D1: 2/8, T1: 4/8, T2: 3/8, T3: 0/9, T4: 4/5, T5: 3/5, T6: 2/8, T7: 1/5, T8:4/5, T9: 3/5, T10: 0/5

Hugh

i had no prob mine was download in like 2mins and ready to go just gotta wait on realm to open up

fiere redfern

AFAIK, you should be done, Emma. The background downloader starts gathering patch data about two weeks before the actual patch hits, so you aren't hit with 1.3gigs of data to download and the WoW download servers don't get clogged from 10 million people trying to download the same files =P

Hugh

maybe thats wat was happening to me cause when i play would say will download patch after exit of wow. but i went two weeks without a pc so idk

Gutboy

In terms of data size, most of a patch is music, sounds, 3d models, and texture files. These are generally finalized long before a patch is ready to go live, so (ideally) they get downloaded ahead of time.

GB

"Impossible odds, mentally unbalanced foes, cramped quarters for a good punch-up... and people say Iest has no night life."
-- Cerebus

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but by God, they frighten me."
-- The Duke of Wellington

Lynette

Had no problems here - took about 20 minutes from start to finish.

Was nice to see a new character screen - now just need to wait for servers to open up.

Shadowwolf

There's no manual download yet for the patch. Im exhausting every avenue I have to find one but I think the issues with Vista are delaying its release from Blizz. As soon as I have it you'll know.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Tolwen

uh I had download the whole thing...no background downloader for mac?:(

Shadowwolf

I think I have a manual download of the patch, will post in a few after I test it.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Shadowwolf

I have a manual version of it and it works on Vista and XP, tested it on both. Its uploading now (roughly 900mb) so it will be about an hour before I can make it avail to everyone who needs it. Sorry, my connection is pushing 1-2mb/s upload and thats the estimated finish time. Big patch is big.

kajunlady

anyone else having problems? i tried to check and see if the realm was up and then all of a sudden i  couldnt exit out of the login part and had to restart my computer so my internet explorer would come up

" The Hardest Job is watching day by day your children grow up and wondering if you really did do all you could for them"
unknown

" I did it because I can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said YOU said I couldn't"
UNKNOWN
"The futue is not something we enter,but something we create"
UNKNOWN

Oilslick

Mine doesn't show alex as existing at all, much less whether or not it's online.  When i try to make a new toon - it never gets past the "retrieving character info" screen.

Oilslick

that is...when i try to make a new toon on another realm just to see what's new out there

Rocknlock

yeah, got a couple low lvl toons on exodar which they show as up and running but can't get past the retrieveing character part.

Geos

Scarlet Crusade is playable if ya got one there