Blizzard doesnt like stun effects

Started by Grendeel, January 19, 2009, 08:56:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grendeel

This is from Ghostcrawler.

[blizzard]We have been waging a long war against random proc stuns. We managed to clean up several of them when we changed mace spec, but like vermin, they sometimes crop up again.

The Death and Decay glyph and Starfall with Celestial Focus were the two greatest offenders because they affect multiple targets. We will almost certainly be phasing out the single target random stuns (such as the Starfire stun of Celestial Focus and Blackout) as well. We didn't do that yet because it involves changing several talents and in some cases we will need to provide compensation.

If you are a druid who doesn't like Starfall, we have noted your feedback. Starfall is area effect damage that you don't have to channel. That is it's purpose. If it isn't doing that job, we can buff it. But introducting an overpowered and frustrating PvP mechanic is not a good way to fix the spell. We removed the de-stealth for the same reason. [/blizzard]

I know i have a couple talents that have a chance to"daze" or stun mobs.  I suppose we should all expect to lose them at some point.

Arcdelad

mmm....soft soft warlocks....i used to fear them....or rather they used to fear me....now i have berserk and fear immunity combined with all my spells costing half energy which means even the meatiest 23k health lock gets sliced up like deli meat...

this has nothing to do with stuns...unless you count maim...which i do on warlocks lol

Grendeel

Heh  yeah we sure are soft these days :(   Though im, not near as concerned about druids as i am the ret and the rogues.  Pally bubble then pew pew, or a rogue  cheapshotting me and doing 24k damage before the debuff is gone .

Whats the cd on  beserk?   Im pretty sure i can survive it  with a fair amount of hp left.  Shadowfury (20 sec cd) will stun for 3 secs and give me time to run a bit.  If i have the vw out then that means you would have to do about 28k damage to kill me (33k if i use a cookie :P ).

In general ive found feral druids to be a rather competive fight, though ive had a few just rape me.    We are going to have to duel sometime soon :)

Arcdelad

berserk is a 3 min CD, so its once per arena match and when you want to burst down someone or resist fear (or break out of fear)...it makes you immune to fear effects and reduces the cost of all attacks by 50% energy, meaning you can spam attacks for its duration like mad...

we do need to duel! ive been doing a lot of BG's lately (becuase there is some great tank gear in the off-set items), and i will look for locks intentionally....they might as well have a huge hunters mark over them for me lol...dk's too....if a dk pulls me to him I thank him for saving me some walking to kill him lol

yeah...pallies suck lol...

JohnnieRat

Our bubble is getting the nerf bat anyways... 50% dmg reduction = it is purely defensive now. As long as DnD glyph gets nerfed I'm happy though... I'm sick of falling through BGs

Nixphire

Wait, you mean there are more things out there other then Death Knights to fight against in a BG?
I might say I'd be competative against you now Arc. Got some good upgrades last night and I'm topping 14k HP (lawl i know). But I'm frost again so you just can't touch this.
Ice Block > Berserk imo.

Tolwen

Bersek is a great way to get IB or bubble out of the way at the first of the fight :General Smiley:

Nixphire

Quote from: Tolwen on January 19, 2009, 04:15:02 PM
Bersek is a great way to get IB or bubble out of the way at the first of the fight :General Smiley:
But then what would you do after I keep freezing you?  :'(

Shadowwolf

Starfall is a piece of garbage spell imo. Ive only found use for it in PvP, using it in PvE has always ended up with unwanted mob aggro since its very hard to gauge the target area and its damage output is also pretty meh. Stun wise I like Starfire and ive noticed for a while the talent proc off it has a diminished return so its not too bad.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Tolwen

Quote from: Nixphire on January 19, 2009, 04:44:44 PM
Quote from: Tolwen on January 19, 2009, 04:15:02 PM
But then what would you do after I keep freezing you?  :'(
hi2shapeshift? >:(

fallingleafs

Quote from: Shadowwolf on January 19, 2009, 06:46:05 PM
Starfall is a piece of garbage spell imo. Ive only found use for it in PvP, using it in PvE has always ended up with unwanted mob aggro since its very hard to gauge the target area and its damage output is also pretty meh. Stun wise I like Starfire and ive noticed for a while the talent proc off it has a diminished return so its not too bad.

I tend to disagree...  It is what it is and you definitely need to know situations where you are and when you use it.  And you always need to know the range of anything you may possibly aggro, however in an AOE situation it is a free cast as you can set click Starfall and still cast hurricane and or other spells at the same time this effect is being used.  I am not going to say everyone uses it, however this talent is included in every moonkin build that I have researched. 

Shadowwolf

Like anything, play styles differ and what others might find useful doesnt always apply for everyone else. Personally, Ive not found a value with it with a 3min cool down with my play style. Its not about not being aware of your range to things, this spell isnt controllable in the sense of normal AOE that you can target, its hard to judge where the perimeter of the effect will be and in fights that are in close quarters, this spell when I used it caused more hassle then help by aggroing additional mobs. Yes, click and forget is nice, however again, its not as controlable of a spell as I think it should be and the 3min cooldown makes its benefit somewhat limited in most situations.

In addition, with 3.0.8, its been slightly nerfed:

[blizzard]Starfall has been slightly changed. Shapeshifting or mounting cancels the effect. Any effect which causes you to lose control of your character will suppress the starfall effect.[/blizzard]

It needs a lot of work imo before I would consider using it again.
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

fallingleafs

Just viewed the Nerf and now I am with you Shadow they made it a waste of a talent point and I will be removing it from my rotation as it seems completely useless now that there is no stun effects.

Leafs...