Main Menu

8 or 10?!?

Started by Arcdelad, March 17, 2008, 06:31:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcdelad

Damn these Monday dilemmas!!!

My current place of employment, like my last one, has that most wonderful of inventions â€" the personal cup-o-coffee making Kuerig machine that lets you pop in a plastic container of your desired coffee flavor and it instantly creates JUST FOR YOU a wonderful cup of coffee…

This is a good thing…yes…HOWEVER…I am thrust into a scientific region this morning where I know nothing....allow me to explain:

This coffee making machine has options on it to make a 4, 6, 8, or 10 oz cup of coffee. Besides the obvious (no 20 oz option? 40 oz?), this leads to some very critical scientific queuries

-   the amount of coffee you put in to make your cup of coffee is always constant â€" there are not different sizes of plastic coffee ground cups to put into this machine, therefore the supply of actual coffee beans is constant across any size coffee output you choose
-   the amount of water flowing through those coffee grinds is NOT constant, as you choose whether 4 oz of water flows through the grinds or 10 oz.

Therefore….given that the amount of coffee remains the same but the water varies, does that mean a 10 oz cup of coffee is inherently less potent (ie full of caffeiene) than a 4 oz cup? Do coffee grounds bleed out their caffeine at a certain volume (at 6 oz, have they filtered out all of the inherent caffeine), or could I dump gallons of water through these grounds and have no loss of potency? At what point do these grounds get oversaturated and lose their inherent coffee-ness?

I must know…methinks a barrage of scientific (ie me drinking a lot of coffee) is called for…

For those looking for coffee bliss â€" I would HIGHLY recommend one of these machines:

http://www.keurig.com/

Nasanna

QuoteQuestion: How can I get the same rich flavor when making 4 cups of coffee as when I make full pot? I use the same ratio of coffee to water but the flavor just isn't the same. The full pot is always better.

Answer: The amount of heat generated is causing the difference in taste that you're experiencing. Coffee is a hot beverage, and there is an optimal brewing time and heat. Less water spends less time in the brewing process, and as a result, requires 'double-heat' (to quote Cuisinart) to ensure the water is brought closer to the optimal 200 degrees Farenheit. Otherwise, the water in your coffee-maker is not extracting enough coffee flavor through heat from the ground coffee. That's the lack of rich flavor that you're noticing.
from http://www.makegoodcoffee.com/brewingcoffee.html#faq1

From the same site:
QuoteQuestion: I usually buy whole beans, I did receive grind flavor coffee and I don't know what amount of grind coffee should I use. I made it and it tastes weak. Let me know if there is a rule of thumb on grind vs whole bean

Answer: The good news is that there is a rule of thumb, and it is one to two tablespoons (depending on personal taste) of ground coffee per six ounces per water. How whole beans translate to ground coffee takes some physics, so for simplicity, consider a generous tablespoon of whole coffee beans to convert to a regular tablespoon of ground coffee, as there is more air in between round coffee beans than between particles of ground coffee.

So yes, 1-2 tablespoons ground coffee per 6oz water. It's the same as making a full pot of coffee vs. 1 cup. So start experimenting with how much coffee you get out and how much coffee grounds you put in. Or does the machine decide the amount of coffee grounds? I wasn't sure if you put them in or if they're already in for you to choose.

Edit: I don't even drink coffee but I wanted to know the answer!

Arcdelad

wow...GREAT stuff nas!!! these things come prepackaged with a set amount of coffee grounds,...you put the little cup into the make, close it up, and the machine punctures the cup then disposes of it....i dont get to measure out or anything like that...at home i do though and i hand grind my own grounds...

i must read all of this and incorporate it into my ritual!!!

you...dnt....like...coffeE? what?!? i thought you were a college student...college students are usually all over coffee like invictus on new raid content...i know your boyfriend is a partaker of the energy drink, at least tell me you grab one of panz' red bulls :)

Nasanna

That website looks like it has almost everything you need to know about coffee lol!

Yeah I'm pretty weird. I don't like coffee or tea. But I will drink any of the fancy coffees at Starbucks or where ever if the coffee taste isn't too strong. And I like chai tea... But I usually drink pop for a caffine buzz. Or a sip of Panzer's energy drinks... those things are pretty potent.

And those Keurig things look really cool... guess you'll have to experiment and see if the 6 oz is stronger than the 10 oz! Let me know how it turns out. And you could probably complain to Keurig if there's a difference... those machines look pretty expensive.

un4

The solution is simple: you make a full pot of coffee instead of doing it by the cup.  Bring a fork for defense against overaggressive coworkers.
un4

Luise

Quote from: Nasanna on March 17, 2008, 02:45:00 PM
Yeah I'm pretty weird. I don't like coffee or tea.

No - you're not :)
I don't drink coffee either and only drink tea at work as a social thing. I can't even eat coffe flavoured chocolates. So I'm considered quite alien.
I get my caffeine fix from chocolate- solid, liquid or frozen.

My daughter makes the best hot chocolates ever- better than Starbucks..she does add chocolate entice icecream to the milk and chocolate, then heats it up. mmm...now where is she?

samaura

mmmm Coffee!!! Have you ever tried a french press? It would be optimal for the whole coffee vs water thing.....I luve mine and it luvs me:)  Ever since i bought one i think it has been one of the best things ever O0

Arcdelad

what is this you speak of?!? speak more!

un4

Those are great!  If you're into those, you may want to consider a mocha pot.
un4

Gutboy

Wow, now Arc can make coffee AND type in the forums while driving!  ;)

GB

"Impossible odds, mentally unbalanced foes, cramped quarters for a good punch-up... and people say Iest has no night life."
-- Cerebus

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but by God, they frighten me."
-- The Duke of Wellington

JohnnieRat

To solve all of arc's problems; My preferred morning drink http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer

Tyban

Kuering has reusable filter you can buy really cheap....i think it was $5 or $6 at Target. You can put in tea or coffee of your choosing and not get stuck with only the premade stuff.

Nixphire

Quote from: JohnnieRat on March 18, 2008, 03:57:01 PM
To solve all of arc's problems; My preferred morning drink http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer
I support this message