Fancy Phone Apps?

Started by JohnnieRat, March 29, 2009, 05:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnnieRat

So I was thinking about what a really useful app would be for a G1 or an IPhone or any of those other ones...

Is there some sort of biometric fingerprint reader app yet? Like used to lock/unlock the phone.

I know there's one under development to read your Iris but seriously, who wants to hold the camera up to their eye just to reply to a text.

Anyone know of any really cool (and actually useful) apps out there?

Tony

If I were to guess, I would think that the G1 would come out with a feature like that before Apple does, just because of the open source community behind the G1. However, both platforms have the potential to have something like that. I have never touched nor intend to touch a G1 just because I am particular to Apple products. If you are looking for a phone, I would wait for the Palm Pre to be released, it is showing a lot of potential.

I'm not sure (correct me if I am wrong Shadow) but I think the G1 has a Reactive screen where the iPhone has a Capacitive screen. Because of the hardware makeup of the G1, a biometric fingerprint scanner may not even be possible with that particular model. I have heard that a new company will be releasing a "G" phone in the future, so another good reason to wait.

Either way you go, the good thing is that developers are constantly coming up with mind blowing ways to utilize the hardware that is being released. I think eventually all smart phones (G1, iPhone, Palm Pre) will have something along those lines.

Shadowwolf

Next version of the Android OS will have some lock options along with a virtual keyboard and whatnot. Apparently its to be released via the TMobile network in another few weeks. Google hasnt finalized the code yet but TMobile released a notification saying its on its way.

http://i.gizmodo.com/5140578/screenshot-tour-taking-androids-cupcake-15-update-for-an-early-spin
Come to the darkside, we have cookies.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Kothnok

Biometric only works if it has the hardware scanner built into the phone.  Since neither phone contains a biometric reader, the only option left is to use the camera somehow.  Putting you thumb over the camera won't work because then there's no light to actually take a pic of your thumb.  The "iris scanner" is just basically a pic of the outer part of your eye, nothing fancy really.  You can probably hold your thumb out a few inches from the camera and use the iris scanner as your thumb reader instead.
No matter how often you refill the gene pool, there's always a shallow end.

Shadowwolf

There may be voice recognition security apps out there, I havent looked tho.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole is a danish" - Chevy Chase as Ty Webb in Caddyshack
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."- Dr. Suess

Kothnok

While it's not fancy, it might come in handy. It will only list files and folders on your phone right now, no rename or delete or anything like that, but that will be in a later version.

If you search the market for [attachimg=1] File Browser v1.0 in the Applications: Tools category, you'll find my app (added 4/8/2009).
No matter how often you refill the gene pool, there's always a shallow end.

Tony

Keepin this alive for the time being

Android 1.5 "Cupcake" just announced. Details can be found here http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-10218850-94.html

There has been widespread belief that the Palm Pre will be released at the end of this month

iPhone 3.0 expected to be released in June http://www.macrumors.com/2009/04/14/next-generation-iphone-component-suppliers/

Tony

Just downloaded the Blizzard Mobile Authenticator for the iPhone. I am a security freak (it's part of my job, so naturally I am paranoid) so I bought an authenticator a while back. It broke after 15 minutes. Long story short, I wasn't going to pay to have it replaced. This is a great alternative. I dont know if there are versions for other phones, but for the iPhone/iPod touch, it works wonderfully.

fallingleafs

Quote from: Tony on March 29, 2009, 07:09:18 PM
If I were to guess, I would think that the G1 would come out with a feature like that before Apple does, just because of the open source community behind the G1. However, both platforms have the potential to have something like that. I have never touched nor intend to touch a G1 just because I am particular to Apple products. If you are looking for a phone, I would wait for the Palm Pre to be released, it is showing a lot of potential.

I'm not sure (correct me if I am wrong Shadow) but I think the G1 has a Reactive screen where the iPhone has a Capacitive screen. Because of the hardware makeup of the G1, aiometric fingerp brint scanner may not even be possible with that particular model. I have heard that a new company will be releasing a "G" phone in the future, so another good reason to wait.

Either way you go, the good thing is that developers are constantly coming up with mind blowing ways to utilize the hardware that is being released. I think eventually all smart phones (G1, iPhone, Palm Pre) will have something along those lines.

I may be wrong but doesn't everyone and their mother recieve source code and free dev tools to develop IPhone Apps?  But just for the record: http://www.apple.com/webapps/entertainment/fingerscan.html - Ok just a joke app really I'm on my third iPhone and am impressed more and more each day by these phones I haven't made the jump to a Mac yet though but only a matter of time I guess at least.  Just have to get over the large Wad I dumped on my new Alienware Laptop.  Good deal on Ebay at least...  Macbook goin to have to wait a little while longer.... 

Shadowwolf

All apps written for the iPhone need to be submitted to Apple first for approval and Apple can decide to not approve apps for no reason at all, mainly if it undermines anything that allows them or ATT to profit. I dont like a large corporation telling me what I can and cant have on a device I own.

Tony

Quote from: Shadowwolf on June 26, 2009, 12:33:07 AM
All apps written for the iPhone need to be submitted to Apple first for approval and Apple can decide to not approve apps for no reason at all, mainly if it undermines anything that allows them or ATT to profit. I dont like a large corporation telling me what I can and cant have on a device I own.

Even though I totally agree with that, how can you not pass up the 3gS? 600Mhz with 256Mb of memory? That is soooo much faster than most of the pc's I've owned...

I'm pretty close to trading in my iPhone 2g for the 3gs, but sadly that means another 2 years with AT&T. I dont think I want to commit to that. I'm really hoping for a new Andriod phone to compete with the 3gS on Verizon.

fallingleafs

Quote from: Shadowwolf on June 26, 2009, 12:33:07 AM

Jailbreak the phone run all the apps your little heart desires...  I have two iPhones one is my legite spend tons of money a month to ATT and play by their rules.

My other phone is the bad boy harley guy phone which I connect to any GSM network and can put any apps that I can get my hands on approved or NOT.... 

This phone goes to Greece with me as I switch a SIM card and no more ATT control! 

Leafs....

As far as Verizon goes I hear about customer service and connections but I have never had problems with either through ATT--CINGULAR---ATT in all my years with them also unless CDMA becomes a technology that is more adapted by the world then the phone is completely under carrier control regardless of where you go and thats not how i like to roll....    I am an options guy!